• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF's Local Scene

Margaret Pilgrim

a true new york girl, doesn't drive :laugh: .

napa and sonoma are great, but they can constitute their own long weekend. you should strive to get the best in sf and berkeley as you won't have to do any real driving and can "bart" it between sf and berkeley.

i'm jealous as i haven't been back to sf in about a year. i moved to new york and the "out of sight out of mind" mentality took full effect with regard to san francisco. when i went back last year though, i was reminded of what a great little city san francisco is and how much there is to see and do around the city (if you're willing to drive a bit).

have a good time on your trip! let us know what you ate.

Thanks everyone.  Just one more thing, if I want to treat myself and my friend out for one night where should I go?  The Slanted Door or The Fifth Floor Room?

I would say neither. The Fifth Floor is a breathtaking space, but frankly (IMHO of course) is just ridiculously overpriced for what it is. If you want to check out the room, have a(n overpriced) drink at the bar. And I have never understood the hoopla about Slanted Door, at either the old or new location. After several ventures there, I've had nothing but just-slightly-better-than-average Asian fare. Again, not enough bang for the buck.

If you want a first-class high-end dining experience, I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Take BART to Berkeley and walk up the street to Chez Panisse. There's nothing like it.

2. Check out my current fave, the new Quince in Pacific Heights (opened in December). Chef Michael Tusk is a CP alumnus, and most recently worked as sous chef under Paul Bertolli at Oliveto. He's turning out some very inspired work. The room is very charming as well: an old apothecary that more recently was home to the much-missed Meetinghouse restaurant. Chef Tusk's wife Lindsay runs the FOH flawlessly, as she used to do at Boulevard.

Some other "local haunts" that are favorites of mine for you to consider:

Zuni Cafe (if you haven't been, you really should go at least once)

Delfina (delicious food, tiny room -- not sure I'd bring a toddler here)

Chez Spencer (though Marlena Spieler had a lousy time here)

Bistro Clovis (you'll swear you're in Paris)

Limon (delicious Peruvian)

As far as Ethiopean, I haven't been but have heard good things about New Eritrea, which claims to specialize in "Eritrean and Ethiopian" cuisine.

If you're a fan of baked goods, be sure to check out Tartine bakery while you're here.

Hope some of this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, want more suggestions, or care to hook up while you're in town. Have a great trip.

Cheers,

Squeat

Edited to add that I really do think Quince will soon be quite well-known as one of San Francisco's best restaurants. Be sure to reserve if you decided to go there... it is a small room and fills up quickly.

And to add: (duh)

Quince

1701 Octavia

SF 94109

415-775-8500

They do have a website, but it seems to be just a placeholder (with a map) for now.

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

Thanks!  This is really helpful.  I am now inspired to go to these places, and will make reservation at Quince as suggested.  I love little places like that.

No problem! I'm sure you'll have an excellent time. I love that place (can you tell?). Be sure and post a report on your trip!

Yes, DO NOT miss the Ferry Plaza!

I just thought of a couple of other favorites:

Chez Papa (another bistro -- their incredibly hard to read webpage)

The Helmand (tasty Afghani fare -- no website I can find but here's a review)

Two very traditional San Francisco institutions:

Tadich Grill (seafood/steak downtown)

Original Joe's (Italo-American and in-house butchered/aged steak in the Tenderloin)

If you're wandering around North Beach, have a panino at Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store and pick up a pound of Graffeo coffee to take home with you!

Edited to add that I really do think Quince will soon be quite well-known as one of San Francisco's best restaurants. Be sure to reserve if you decided to go there... it is a small room and fills up quickly.

Thanks for the rec on Qunice Squeat! Sounds like a place to definately check out.

I second Squeat's suggestions including The Helmand in North Beach for Afghan food and Delfina's in the Mission for great Italian. Zuni also!

If you feel like any spicy Hunan food; you might want to check out Brandy Ho's on Colombus near the Pyramid.

Two other ideas:

A relatively new arrival on the San Francisco French scene is the boulangeries and restaurants owned by Pascal Rigo. You'll feel like you're shopping in France if you go to either of his bakeries, the Boulangerie on Pine Street near Fillmore or the Boulangerie de Polk, where you can also eat a light breakfast or lunch. The breads and pastries are outstanding and you can probably practice speaking French at either of these shops, too.

The pastries, breads and savory tarts at his bakeries are incredible.

Other nice place for french food--mussels in particular is Plouf (between Union Square and the Financial District)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Bond Girl, my husband and I will be in SF the same time you are (we'll be there a little longer...rolling in early afternoon on the 22, leaving on the 27th).

Trying to decide on Helmand or Zuni for our first night...is it worth making reservations at Zuni for a Thursday night (husband really prefers a "play it by ear" approach, but I don't want to drag my jet lagged ass around town just to find out the place is full up).

Big thing we need is a good place for morning coffee and pastry fix. We're staying on the edge of Union Square/Tenderloin. Are either Rigo's Patisseries or Tartine nearish, and does either serve a passable cup of coffee? Must have coffee with pastry. Actually, must have coffee throughout the day. Favorite coffeehouse anyone?

Thanks guys. You really do rock.

Gourmet Anarchy

Trying to decide on Helmand or Zuni for our first night...is it worth making reservations at Zuni for a Thursday night (husband really prefers a "play it by ear" approach, but I don't want to drag my jet lagged ass around town just to find out the place is full up).

I'd play it safe and reserve at whichever place you pick. Thursday is a big going-out night in San Francisco, possibly even bigger than Friday, and the popular places tend to fill up.

Big thing we need is a good place for morning coffee and pastry fix. We're staying on the edge of Union Square/Tenderloin. Are either Rigo's Patisseries or Tartine nearish, and does either serve a passable cup of coffee?  Must have coffee with pastry. Actually, must have coffee throughout the day. Favorite coffeehouse anyone?

Neither of Rigo's boulangeries nor Tartine are really close enough to help you in the morning. If I were you, I'd head to Cafe de la Presse on the corner of Bush and Grant. Very euro-cosmo feel, combo newsstand and cafe with excellent coffee, decent pastries and magazines in many languages! If the weather's nice, you can have your cuppa at a table on the sidewalk across the street from the Chinatown Gate.

Thanks guys. You really do rock.

Aw, shucks!

I'm staying at the Palomar near Union Square

Since you're staying at The Palomar you should at least go up to Fifth Floor for a cocktail. They make an awesome drink called a Bohemian. But, I agree with Squeat, the food is overpriced and overrated.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

When I was in twon last time, we went to Slanted Door and also didn't 'get' it. The food was just OK and the feel fo the restaurant was mor elike that of a busy Pizzaria Uno.

One place for the "nicer" meal that I haven't heard mentioned that we loved is Farallon. Wonderful, whimsical setting and great fish dishes. I had an excellent Ono entree and my wife made a meal of several appetizers which were even better than the entrees.

Bill Russell

I have never been to Farallon, as I don't eat seafood and prefer to have more menu options when spending at that level, but I have heard nothing but good things about the food there -- the desserts in particular -- and the room.

I've also never been to Copia, but it's something I plan to talk one of my driving friends into someday very soon.

I meant to mention that if you visit the SF Museum of Modern Art, the cafe there actually does quite a nice job for lunch. (At the moment there's a fascinating exhibit on the paintings of Romare Bearden, and a pretty cool gathering of Pop Art from local San Francisco collections.)

I would say Copia is worth going to if you are in Napa, but I don't think I would drive up just for that. Of course, there are plenty of other reasons to go to Napa.

There's a short thread on it here.

Bill Russell

I don't drive but my friend does and I think Copia might be a nice place when you have children, unless, I'm being totally off the wall here.....I will definitely add Farallon to the list, since Seafood is about the only thing I do eat.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I don't think Copia is worth the trip in and of itself, and I don't think a little girl would enjoy it that much. Stay in the city: enjoy it!

BTW, have you priced hotel rooms via HotelRes.com? The best prices in the world, in my experience.

Union Square is as noisy as Rome, if that matters, and parking is exorbitant and difficult to find. My favorite hotel in SF is the Hotel Majestic, which is midtown in a much quieter neighborhood, with easy access to everything. (The whole city is only seven miles from end to end, less than 50 square miles in area.)

If you want to try something wonderful at Farallon, get a glass of the Gruner Veltliner. That's the first place I ever tried it.

Hmmm-Got reservation fro Farallon on Saturday night and Quince on Sunday night. Hmmm-that still leaves Zuni to be explored and other places....Any recommendations on what to order?

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

My favorite hotel in SF is the Hotel Majestic, which is midtown in a much quieter neighborhood, with easy access to everything. (The whole city is only seven miles from end to end, less than 50 square miles in area.)

Just wanted to second the recommendation of the Hotel Majestic...my husband and I spent part of our honeymoon there eight years ago and it was quite lovely.

I doubt the fish at Farallon is really from the Farallons but when I was growing up in Marin and spending most of my summers at Stinson Beach the buzz was that there was nuclear waste dumped out at the islands and that it raised the water temps enough and leaked enough to encourage three-eyed fish and freaky sharks. I have no idea if any of this is true but it always cracks me up that someone would name a seafood restaurant after this area with its local reputation.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray