• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Gordo's worst kosher candy competition

SobaAddict70

What allows a candy to qualify as kosher for passover? (sorry, my grandparents were so reform they practically took us to egg hunts. My mom actually took us to egg hunts :hmmm: )

Candy and Chocolate are kosher for Passover if prepared following the more strict Passover Kashrut rules. No corn syrop, flour, peanuts/peanut oil, grain-based oils like canola (which is a seed... not a grain but I can't explain everythign!) or anything else not allowed for the holiday.

Of course, to be kosher these things must be made by a company that is under supervision from a certifying agency..or a rabbi.

Soba - there are many kosher for Passover chocolates - many of them good, many of them not so good. I bake with a lot of chocolate at Passover.

Soba, now that you're living on the UWS, you need to take a visit to the Passover store (I don't know where this year's location will be yet). You'll have opportunity to see all assorted goods that are available for the holiday. It's really exploded in the last 30 years. It used to be that the only place you could find K-P chocolate chips was the Passover shop at Macys.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Most Passover chocolate is pareve--it's a lot harder to find milk chocolate than dark in a Kosher market's Passover aisle, in my experience. But then most folks serve a meat meal for the Passover seders, when Passover candies are most likely to be consumed--and since you can't mix meat and dairy at the same meal, the chocolates will have to be dark.

I always loved the milk chocolate-covered matzos as a child. But nobody ever thought to bring them for me since they knew we would have a meat Seder and therefore no dairy. (I guess nobody considered how much I would have enjoyed them on the subsequent days of Passover. :rolleyes:)

It appears that the dilemma over finding tasty candy for Passover may have found something new .... this stuff, according to their press, is a cut above the usual:

Sweethearts Three in Massachusetts :biggrin:

article on those kosher ring jells, etc. :rolleyes:

"Sweethearts Three Passover chocolate will provide a delicious alternative to the mass-produced, pre-packaged, usually costly products available for Passover," Schwab suggests.
amen, indeed amen! :wink:
Hand-Dipped Cashews $25/lb.  [1][2][5]  __Pareve __ Dairy   

Hand-Dipped Glazed Fruits  $25/lb.  [1][2]  Pareve only

Assorted Truffles $27/lb.  [1][2]  __Pareve __ Dairy 

Chocolatier's Special $25/lb.  [1][2]  __Pareve __ Dairy 

Chocolate Baskets $22 S(mall)  $50 M(edium)  $75 L(arge)

$90 XL(arge)  [M][L]  __Pareve __ Dairy

Bissingers Candy for Passover .. just in: certifed kosher and parve as well!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 12 years later...

Only slightly off topic - my husband's good friend, Rabbi Arnie Freitag, recently commented that running the cleaning cycle on your oven is the modern day equivalent of cleaning part of your kitchen for Passover. 

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

1 hour ago, ElainaA said:

Only slightly off topic - my husband's good friend, Rabbi Arnie Freitag, recently commented that running the cleaning cycle on your oven is the modern day equivalent of cleaning part of your kitchen for Passover. 

Definitely better than a blow torch!