• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Geoduck Clam

Fountainhead

:unsure:

From Cooking Fish and Shellfish

Plunge into boiling water until shell opens. Sever the adductor muscle, discard skin and stomach, rinse well in cold water. It is possible to cut three steaks from one goeduck ( one from the breast and two from the neck ) These may be breaded and fried, and the rest ground for chowder clams.

I have never dug this type of clam, but think that they are used a lot for chowder. They dig for these and horseshoe clams at Birch Bay, up by Blaine, WA.

Charlie

It's the (un?)official mascot of Seattle I think. When I was little I had a goeduck stuffed animal and a little record that played a goeduck song.

btw, the spelling of this fast digging mollusk is a little mysterious. I googled it and got as many geos as goes. M-W.com wants money for the definition.

Saw somebody do a ceviche of goeduck. Just the same as a normal ceviche. Thin slices. I might be inclined to braise it, considering it's size and athletic ability.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

They are much easier to clean than I thought and after talking to a few locals as well as Geoduck divers I have found a few simple was of preparing. The skin comes off the neck very easily by running hot water on it and then you run water from a hose through it to get rid of the sand inside. They are so large a little intimidating to start. Not aware of any other names but they are the largest clams in the world and have been recorded to be up to 146 years of age. Given that time on the planet I wanted to be sure to prepare them properly. I sent the first post in my wifes name as I had not joined e gullet yet. Jeager

Dear, dear Big Bunny,

Thank you for that. As soon as I saw the lyrics it all came rushing back. Of course some maniac has put the goeduck song on the internet. How good.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"