• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need caterer for 20 pp. dinner party

triscuitfl

Hi everyone, I'm looking for suggestions. I need a caterer for an at-home, small wedding this June. I would like to find someone who does regular parties of this size, not someone who specializes in weddings or extremely large events.

We want the wedding dinner to celebrate what we like about living where we live (on a farm near Princeton, NJ): gardening, farmers markets, cooking out, etc. The dinner should therefore be grill- and Jersey-themed: heirloom tomatoes, poussins from the farm down the road, maybe grilled tuna, asparagus, that sort of thing. Nothing fussy, but everything with the best and freshest ingredients. Lots of color. We'd like the caterer to be low-key, flexible, and professional. Oh yes, and reasonably priced.

So far, I've found many uber-wedding caterers, where I feel like I'd get a meal designed for large crowds, not a small group, and pay extra for the privilege.

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated--June is fast approaching!

Thanks,

Triscuitfl

I know this sounds crazy, but I really think this is something which is up Fink's alley. I know he does off site catering on occassion (and he did an amazing job with the pig at our eGullet NJ event).

He was a sous chef at Commander's Palace in New Orleans, he now runs Finks Funky Chicken and Ribs in River Edge, which is a top notch barbecue restaurant.

EDIT: Here's his catering web page

http://www.finksfunky.net/catering.htm

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have the perfect person for you! She's based in Montclair and is a personal chef/caterer with an impressive roster of clients, many of whom have been w/her for years. She also assists another chef frequently in the private dining room of an international bank in Manhattan. I've eaten her food at small private dinners and large cocktail parties, and it's fresh, original, boldly flavored, and beautifully presented. Very regional/seasonal. Don't know what she charges, but she's got a lot of integrity and is totally down-to-earth. PM me & i'll be happy to give you her name/number.

I've PM'd the details to triscuitfl, but for others who are reading this for their own needs, I highly recommend OME Caterers; they are based in NJ and work the whole state. I've used them for work events large and small, including private brunches and dinners, and I'm constantly thrilled by their creativity, food, service (their employees are the best--across the board) and resources.

No, I don't work for them, but I certainly head up their cheerleading squad! :wub: Pam Bayvel is at 973-402-1763.

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

You may want to consider Keith Jaret owner and chef at The Petite Cafe in Nutley NJ. He and his wife, Maureen, do quality custom catering. They were chosen to prepare food for the Nutley Hall of Fame which was attended by Martha Stewart. Martha commented (on her website) about the quality of Keith's preparations. If Martha was impressed ...

Reach out to them at 973-667-7778 or The Petite Cafe

Be sure to have their crab cakes on your catered menu! (right, Rosie!!) YUM

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. It was great to receive so many replies so quickly. Here's the update: I tried OME first, and while they created a wonderful menu for me and Pam was great to talk to, it was unfortunately out of my price range. I also called Connie of Connie Cooks, but I contacted her in the middle of a very busy period and we had trouble getting in touch with each other. I then called the caterer Rhubarbz recommended; she was great and some of the dishes she described sounded delicious, but she's not available on the night I need her. I didn't call Fink's because, based on the menus I saw online, it wasn't quite what I was looking for for the wedding dinner. I also didn't call The Petite Cafe because after speaking to some of the other caterers, and seeing the prices on the Petite Cafe menu, I think it will be too expensive.

SO, this brings me back to square one, with less than seven weeks till the wedding!!

Based on these experiences, I think the ideal situation would be a caterer who works out of her home (similar to the woman Rhubarbz recommended), but I'm not sure where to begin looking. Can anyone here recommend such a caterer, or maybe places where I could look? No luck in regular classifieds so far, and I don't know of any organizations or networks.

Thanks, once again, for your suggestions.

Triscuitfl

Mardi Gras in Verona

New World Catering--Maplewood

Lawrence Craig --Maplewood

Monterey Gourmet Bernardsville

Don't know the price ranges. Try Connie again and also Mark Darragh ( a personal chef) markdchef@starchefs.com

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I guess you need to give us more details, especially price.

If you didn't make contact with Connie, you should try again.

You didn't even call Finks? From their website: "It would be impossible to list ALL the entrees we could make for you... If you want something not listed here, please call and speak to Fink or Kate!" And their menu online does list a lot of the stuff you are interested in. He's a seriously good cook, don't let the roasted pigs fool you.

You might try Calico Catering...my step-mother (who lives in Princeton) has used her alot and had great success. I've had her food once, and really enjoyed it. If you can't find her in the phone book, I will get her info and post it. I 'm pretty sure her name is Veronica, but I'll double check

And just in the interest of full disclosure, I'm a chef and caterer and educator, and am moving to NJ in early June. I happen to specialize in small at-home parites. Sorry I won't be able to help you out. :smile:

Let us know how it goes...

-David

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

This gives us several possibilities. We're going to start with Fink's, the caterer Rosie emailed me about (thanks, Rosie), and a caterer who PM'd me, and go from there.

Thanks everyone, and I'll keep you posted!

triscuitfl

We would love to do your wedding! Please contact me if you would like to discuss arrangments.

Betsy Alger

Proprietor

The Frog and The Peach

ewalger@frogandpeach.com

732-846-3216 x 19

Elizabeth (Betsy) Alger

The Frog and The Peach

New Brunswick, NJ 08901