• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grits Better Than Grits

Richard Kilgore

I got in a supply of Anson Mills Antebellum Grits and they are absolutley fabulous. After making a couple of batches, I did a comparison using two small crockpots -- both are Rival crockpots, one a 2 quart model with a non-removeable crock, the other a 1 1/2 quart model with a removeable crock. I found that a small batch (one cup grits to 2 1/2 cups milk) worked best in the 1 1/2 quart model.

I started both batches on the stove, which takes a little less than 10 minutes, and then transferred to the crockpots. I stirred each only once per hour. At the end of two hours both tasted better than any grits I have ever eaten, with a creamy texture. At the end of three hours, they were sublime. Both crockpot models produced grits with similar characteristics, but the 2 quart model developed a very dark layer of gratin all the way around the pot. The smaller pot had a thin layer of grits that stuck to the pot but never got dark; it barely turned color.

Although the crockpot gratin has a cost in useable, serveable grits, I can testify that it too is mighty tasty. A cook's treat.