• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grits

nwyles

I just got a bag of grits. ( 40 lbs , so I have lots ! )

They are quite large. The bag says Hominy grits. They are about the size of a split kernel of corn. It was not what I was expecting. I was thinking they were going to be more like polenta.

What should I do with them.

I was thinking of some kind of savoury cake, like a risotto cake.

Does anyone have any advice and or recipes that you would suggest.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I just got a bag of grits. ( 40 lbs , so I have lots ! )

They are quite large. The bag says Hominy grits. They are about the size of a split kernel of corn. It was not what I was expecting. I was thinking they were going to be more like polenta.

What should I do with them.

I was thinking of some kind of savoury cake, like a risotto cake.

Does anyone have any advice and or recipes that you would suggest.

I have only used the quick cooking grits which are smaller than you have described. Unless you get other advice, I'd experiment with my usual ratio of 1/2 cup grits to 2 cups boiling water and see what happens.

I love grits and I hope it becomes a staple on your menu.

Neil, it sounds to me like what you have is dried hominy, rather than traditional grits, which are pretty much as you describe them -- like polenta. Grits come in a variety of grind-sizes, but "split-kernel" is bigger by far than any I've seen.

The most common use for hominy is posole. There are a lot of other interesting ideas here, but I'm sure it's far from an exhaustive list.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I think Dave is right.  Real grits are cheap polenta. Price of the dish depends on what you call it.

It's my understanding that Grits and Polenta are actually different. True grits come from white hominy. Polenta is generally from yellow corn.

Edited by pounce (log)

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

Shrimp and Grits. Cook the Grits with salted water, then add cream and butter to taste, cook the shrimp with bell peppers, onions, and celery (holy trinity).

You could also add roasted whole pecans and really good quality gorgonzola to the cooked grits.

Actually there are a lot of things to do with them.

Roasted banana and jalapeno

cheddar cheese

mascarpone..................

Edited by chefdg (log)

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Grits are small broken grains of corn. They were first produced by Native Americans centuries ago. They made both "corn" grits and "hominy" grits.

from grits.com website.

even more info from Southern food

edited to add second link

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

It's my understanding that Grits and Polenta are actually different. True grits come from white hominy. Polenta is generally from yellow corn.

Well yeah, though that's based, I think, on agricultural neccessity, and not on any substantive difference between white and yellow corn. Besides, I think we've pretty easily found mis-labeling of dried hominy as grits. Do you think that a producer that would do that would blink at a few nanometers on the color spectrum?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Grits. Gah. Neil, I'm surprised they allowed them across the border :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Well yeah, though that's based, I think, on agricultural neccessity, and not on any substantive difference between white and yellow corn. Besides, I think we've pretty easily found mis-labeling of dried hominy as grits. Do you think that a producer that would do that would blink at a few nanometers on the color spectrum?

These ones are very white.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

They are simply not grits if they are that large. It has to be dried hominy. Grits may be either yellow or white, and I have both, as well as Polenta, all from Anson Mills in my freezer. They were named one of the top 15 artisan food producers in the US by Newsweek last year, and there are a few threads here on them. If you are really interested in serving grits in your restaurant, you don't want "quick" grits or worse yet "instant" grits. Check out the Anson Mills website for more info on the differences between their various grits, polenta and other corn products that come from their heirloom farming. In a phone call last year they told me that different parts of the US and different cities tend to be either white grits or yellow grits. For example, at that time he shipped primarily yellow grits to Dallas chefs and white grits to those in Houston.

I think Dave is right.  Real grits are cheap polenta. Price of the dish depends on what you call it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polenta

"Description

Polenta is made with either coarsely, medium or finely ground dried yellow or white cornmeal (ground maize), depending on the region and the texture desired.[1] As it is known today, polenta derives from earlier forms of grain mush (known as puls or pulmentum in Latin) commonly eaten in Roman times and after. Early forms of polenta were made with such starches as the grain farro and chestnut flour, both of which are still used in small quantity today. When boiled, polenta has smooth creamy textures, caused by the presence of starch molecules dissolved into the water.

[edit]

Similarity with grits

Polenta is very similar to corn grits, a common dish in the cuisine of the Southern United States, with the difference that grits are made from coarsely ground corn, hull and all. Most popularly grits are made from corn which has been processed into hominy (see nixtamalization), which originates in Mexican cuisine, making it grittier yet. Polenta's similarity to boiled maize dishes of Mexico, where maize originated, may be a coincidence, as polenta is not a part of Spanish cuisine."

People boil their grains to make mush. All over the world. There just isn't that big a distinction, excepting that probably as a whole food being ground from the whole grain, grits probably have a higher nutritional value, or at least more dietary fiber.

I have had plenty of yellow grits. Dad used to prefer them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polenta

"Description

Polenta is made with either coarsely, medium or finely ground dried yellow or white cornmeal (ground maize), depending on the region and the texture desired.[1] As it is known today, polenta derives from earlier forms of grain mush (known as puls or pulmentum in Latin) commonly eaten in Roman times and after. Early forms of polenta were made with such starches as the grain farro and chestnut flour, both of which are still used in small quantity today. When boiled, polenta has smooth creamy textures, caused by the presence of starch molecules dissolved into the water.

[edit]

Similarity with grits

Polenta is very similar to corn grits, a common dish in the cuisine of the Southern United States, with the difference that grits are made from coarsely ground corn, hull and all. Most popularly grits are made from corn which has been processed into hominy (see nixtamalization), which originates in Mexican cuisine, making it grittier yet. Polenta's similarity to boiled maize dishes of Mexico, where maize originated, may be a coincidence, as polenta is not a part of Spanish cuisine."

People boil their grains to make mush. All over the world. There just isn't that big a distinction, excepting that probably as a whole food being ground from the whole grain, grits probably have a higher nutritional value, or at least more dietary fiber.

I have had plenty of yellow grits. Dad used to prefer them.

some other quotes from that wikipedia site

"Polentone" (or "pulentun" in dialect) meaning "polenta eater" (literally "big polenta") is a derogatory term sometimes used by Southern Italians to refer to Northern Italians.

The overreliance on polenta as a staple food caused outbreaks of pellagra throughout much of Europe until the 20th century (maize lacks readily-accessible niacin.)

Formerly a peasant food, polenta has recently become quite upscale, with polenta dishes in restaurants and prepared polenta found in supermarkets commanding high prices. Many new recipes have given new life to an item which is, in essence, a fairly bland and common food, invigorating it with various cheeses or tomato sauces.

Polenta's similarity to boiled maize dishes of Mexico, where maize originated, may be a coincidence, as polenta is not a part of Spanish cuisine.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 2 years later...

I'm bumping up this thread because I have grits on the brain these days! Although there is some defense of quick-cooking grits in various threads, I start with the assumption that stone-ground grits have the most flavor, and the fresher the better. I have no opinion of white vs yellow; I order fresh stone-ground grits and my source only offers white, but I am guessing I would be happy with yellow if it was just as fresh. As long as it's corny I want it.

Upthread is an exhaustive discussion of what the definition of grits is, so let's move on and talk about what to do with them, since that's the thread title. I make my grits by starting them in a generous amount of water and then adding some milk (or cream or combination thereof) during the last half of cooking time.

I like grits right out of the pot plain, that is with butter and salt, or with a little cheese mixed in. I also like a bowl of grits for breakfast with a little maple syrup or shagbark hickory syrup drizzled on.

I love shrimp 'n' grits. I make plain or cheesy grits, serve it in a puddle topped with a spicy tomato salsa and grilled shrimp. Easy! Better in the summer when there are great tomatoes.

I like grits served with veal or lamb or ham shanks with the gravy or juices poured on. If my guests want to call it polenta I usually don't say a word. It's grits to me.

Right now my favorite thing to do is cook a pot of grits and mix in at the end a healthy dollop (or three) of creamy goat cheese. Then I put it into a wide pan to cool in a slab that's about a half inch or more thick. I cut it into squares and grill it on the barbie with olive oil or saute it in a pan in butter or oil or bacon grease. I love it just like that hot out of the pan or sauced.

What should I try next?

I get grits from Falls Mill. Keep the supply frozen.

Usually used as grits and eggs. Very nice fried eggs, sunny side up, with grits buttered, salted, and peppered.

Nothing better.

My parrots have always loved grits.

They don't get butter, though.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Oh, it will work. Fried grits are wonderful.

Grits and Ham are the classic combo for me. Oh, and grits and fresh sausage.

As a matter of fact it will be a southern breakfast appetizer for dinner. I will have fried ham with a red eye jus, the cheese grits batons and vietnamese egg cake done as a western omelet.

I'm 45 and grew up in TX, then Atlanta for 10 yrs, now FL for 10.

In a conversation recently about us adding a Friday Fish Fry at our sandwich shop, a good 'ol boy mentioned GRITS.

I know this shows my ignorance, but I just can't believe I've eaten years of fried fish/catfish with plenty of fries, slaw, hushpuppies, AND NEVER with grits. And I'm IN the south, esp. compared to many of you. I'd never even heard of it.

I love a grit, and gladly eat it almost plain - just a bit of butter, salt & pepper. Never had a need to mix in cheese. But love to mix in scrambled egg right there on the plate.