• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time for a cocktail

The village siren just blew, which means that it's time to fix myself a little drink. Or perhaps a big one. I'll be back tomorrow. This has been fun. Thanks to all who've been wposting questions/comments, etc.

If you'll allow one plug, there are still spaces for students (especially people in the bar business) in this summer's Cocktails in the Country bartender training seminars. Please go to www.ardentspirits.com for details.

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

Thank you very much Gary.

Yum, a cocktail. Whatch 'ya having? :biggrin:

I would very much love to attend one of your weekend class sessions, but Summer is our peak season and as the saying goes -- gotta make hay while the sun shines! In fact, there are a few of my coworkers I think would be quite happy to make it a bit of a group retreat and rejuvenation for the passion of why we are in this biz.... A welcome respite from the six deep of demanding faces surrounding the the full circle shaped bars we have, with many patrons whistling as if they lost their pooches for service too. :hmmm: (It does get a little old, but that's what a good night's rest is necessary to approach another day in the trenches all over again.)

Cocktails sound sublime and my best friend must be thinking the same as my phone just rang....

Cheers!

I'm afraid I didn't have anything exotic to drink last night, in fact I usually get adventurous only when devoting a whole day or weekend to experimentation. Last night was a G&T night, and Mardee had a Manhattan. Margaritas are big at our house, too, and I've been sipping pale ale of late--nice and spicy and thirst quenching.

Beans: Am I allowed to ask where, or in what area, you work? Afraid I'm not familiar with protocol on e-gullet.

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

:smile: You're allowed!

I am currently at Shooter's in Cleveland. I've also bartended at the Islander's Swim Up Pool Bar in Put in Bay/South Bass Island, Rattlesnake Island (two Lake Erie resort islands) and in Pioneer Bar (third picture, and not a terribly good one :sad: ) in Sitka, Alaska.

The Shooter's website is a redesign, and in my awful opinion, is dull and lifeless. The web designers are waiting until this Summer to replace the photos when we are jam packed with diners and boaters. On the home page shows a small picture of boats rafted all the way around -- we serve full menu and cocktails on those as well (onboard). To get an idea of the establishment: we staff 150 servers, 48-52 bartenders, 9-10 barbacks, 20 hostesses, 12-15 valets and/or dock hands and 20-25 in the heart of the house cooking with 7 bars, 1 small shots only bar and 2 beer barrels. Sometimes we'll have tooter girls walking about selling some funny coloured shot out of a test tube. We have a "legal" seating capacity of 800 and overall capacity (inside and out) of 2000. The place is a true machine, I love it and often call it my home. :wub:

edit: link repair

Edited by beans (log)

Wow! Shooters looks like quite a joint! Mardee's from Ohio--Akron/Canton

Gary: Although called many other things, that sums it up best -- Shooter's is quite a joint. :laugh:

Mardee: :wub: Wooo Hoooooooo!

SOMEONE else on eG that knows of that little rock island paradise! :laugh:

Late in the season, when any of us exhausted bartenders needed time off the rock, Sunday nights we'd grab the last ferry off and hit somewhere on the mainland for a day or two in Lakeside, Sandusky or Port Clinton.

Somehow cocktail enjoyment and employment always seems to be near water for me -- Alaska, Cleveland Flats, the Islands or even the fun around Portage Lakes. :rolleyes:

Small world. :cool: Now I really look forward to an opportunity to meeting both you and Gary and attend one of your weekends of thoughtful instruction!