• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creating new drinks

I'm wondering if either of you have any tips for creating drinks in response to a specific request, when the type of drink requested is either not something you're familiar with, or not something you like.

For example, Gary, you mentioned in Mixology that you're not a fan of Bloody Mary/Snapper drinks because of the tomato juice. But suppose you were in charge of creating brunch drinks for a new place, or a new signature cocktail for Clamato, or something similar. Could you create a "good" drink that you would nonetheless not personally care for?

The reason I ask is that I teach classes on cocktail parties, and often have requests from my clients for new and different drinks. These days, it seems that they all seem to want "tropical" drinks, yet I'm not a huge fan of them. So I feel that the drinks I create in those cases are not terribly creative, nor terribly good.

Ooooh! I'm interested in this as well because I've got to do it every day/night I'm at work! :biggrin:

Jäger Bombs. :angry: Just the faint smell of the Red Bull makes my head ache!

However my goal is to please the guest and provide as the guest specifies or as requested. Some I do get to know and cultivate into regulars that I then feel a bit more comfortable to suggesting something new I feel they may enjoy.

Hi Janet:

When it comes to Bloody Mary-type drinks I immediately turn to Mardee--she loves them, but faced with having to create a similar drink on my own, I think I'd have to tell the client to look elsewhere. On the other hand I could try to create a drink using tomato water from fresh tomatoes--I love that ingredient.

I'm not a massive fan of tropical drinks either though I've had some that I adore. I think we all have our preferrences, and our drinks reflect what we like best. Most new drinks created in our house tend to be a little on the strong side! Oh dear . . .

Beans: You've got the right stuff. I'm lucky inasmuch as I love medicinal-tasting ingredients, including Jagermeister and Red Bull, so they are in a catergory I feel comfortable with.

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.