• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

omuraisu

I cannot believe that so many people hate Omuraisu. What's wrong with you all?! :shock:

Omuraisu was my favorite food when I was a child. That's the only thing I ate at a restaurant. My grandmother always made me Omuraisu when I visited her. I love Omuraisu!

Kristin! That Omuraisu bento looks so yummy!!! :wub:

I wouldn't say I hate it now, but I definitely don't like it.

But hell being Chinese, I wouldn't call it omuraisu.

I'd just call it ketchup fried rice.

Or kaa jup choow fan.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I like eggs with ketchup, and I like white rice with ketchup too (shhhh! :biggrin: )

So omuraisu sounds yummy to me. :raz:

Ling, where ya been?

On spring break?

How're you and your BF doing?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I wouldn't say I hate it now, but I definitely don't like it.

But hell being Chinese, I wouldn't call it omuraisu.

I'd just call it ketchup fried rice.

Or kaa jup choow fan.

Not only that but it's likely my mother is rolling in her grave because I a) do such a vile sacrilege to rice on purpose, b) like Japanese food. Neither were allowed at home when I was growing up.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

I COULD like it, but the tinkerer in me would want to, well...tinker with it.

For instance, it'd be probably a lot better if it were fried or something served in a stone bowl thing.

Omuraisu doesn't sound too far off from spam and vienna sausage cuisine, now come to think of it. :biggrin::blink:

Soba

Omuraisu doesn't sound too far off from spam and vienna sausage cuisine, now come to think of it. :biggrin::blink:

Actually, I suspect that's exactly it on a certain level, re: island nations and processed western food in recent years. Like Hawaii and spam musubi.

Pat

After reading all these posts, I still don't understand.

Rice goes together well with vinegar, so it does with ketchup.

For those of you who have never tried it, try it, and tell me your honest opinion.

After reading all these posts, I still don't understand.

Rice goes together well with vinegar, so it does with ketchup.

For those of you who have never tried it, try it, and tell me your honest opinion.

Maybe if people knew the ketchup was caramelized and sauteed with the rice with other seasonings like Worcestershire sauce, it would make a difference?

I didn't want to try kechyapuraisu (sp?) for the longest time because I thought it was just ketchup and rice. Almost like eating white bread and ketchup sandwiches. But I like it now since it's cooked with other things, and also like the ketchup spaghetti too.

Pat

I took my parents to the Grandberry Mall outlet shops by my house today and we stopped in the food court for lunch.

My dad decided to go to the omuraisu restaurant and ended up with omuraisu topped with a hamburger patty and slathered with a demi glace sauce.

He loved it!

I knew he would though as he can put ketchup on anything he eats.

Me? I went for the ishiyaki (stone dolsot) bibimbap and rei-men (cold noodles) set. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I didn't want to try kechyapuraisu (sp?) for the longest time because I thought it was just ketchup and rice. Almost like eating white bread and ketchup sandwiches. But I like it now since it's cooked with other things, and also like the ketchup spaghetti too.

Now I'm convinced that some of you are just

食べず嫌い

tabezu girai

"dislike without having tried"

Why not try it today?

Now I'm convinced that some of you are just

食べず嫌い

tabezu girai

"dislike without having tried"

Maybe. But lots of people just don't like ketchup, period. So they're not going to like ketchup rice covered in an omelette slathered in more ketchup.

Me, I like ketchup and I like omurice. But I really prefer it with no ketchup on top (and definately no mayonnaise!). I like my omurice bare naked or with demiglace sauce. And the best omurice I've ever had was made with fried rice instead of ketchup rice.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 3 weeks later...

In another thread, a member wrote:

Hiroyuki,

Since you valiantly defended ketchupy omu-raisu, I wonder what you think about Napolitan spaghetti?

I defended myself. I wrote that I had been just curious to know why so many people hated omuraisu.

And, today, I accidently found a very interesting signature:

Nobody - I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog!

That brings me back to the same old question.

I've never heard of Japanese who hate soy sauce and miso (fermented soy paste). BUT, NOW I understand that not all Americans like ketchup although it is a great American invention, just like peanut butter. Some Americans hate it and others like it, and some of those who like it hate a combination of ketchup and rice and/or a combination of ketchup and a hot dog. It's as simple as that.

AM I RIGHT?? I need some clarification.

I've never heard of Japanese who hate soy sauce and miso (fermented soy paste). BUT, NOW I understand that not all Americans like ketchup although it is a great American invention, just like peanut butter. Some Americans hate it and others like it, and some of those who like it hate a combination of ketchup and rice and/or a combination of ketchup and a hot dog. It's as simple as that.

AM I RIGHT?? I need some clarification.

I think you've got it!

I know a lot of people who can't stand ketchup on anything and others like me who will eat it on a couple things like hamburgers and fries and then there are people like my dad who keep a bottle on the table and pour it on everything......

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 4 months later...

OK, I can't believe I am asking this. What ketchup is used in making authentic Japanese cuisine? :wacko:

Is Heinz #1 in Japan? Or do they use their own variant of ketchup just like they use that Kewpie mayonnaise which is different than our Best.

Do the people in Tokyo use more strongly flavored ketchup than those in Osaka? :biggrin:

Heinz is certainly pretty common here. I don't come from a ketchup culture, so it all tastes the same to me :shock:

Recently you can buy chunky ketchup, which is a blatant attempt to get consumers to associate red wallpaper paste with blooming fields of produce.

I don't go for slashed omuriaisu though, I prefer for it to keep its secrets until the fatal moment.

It's a lot better if you fry up a little onion/chicken/mushroom/tomato and add that to the rice with plenty of pepper and just a little ketchup. But the whole point is getting the omelet to the barely squishy stage, slashing it open and allowing it to spread, then dolloping the rice mix in the middle and somehow turning it out in the perfect omuraisu shape. Taste is just not an issue!

And Del Monte.

Kogome and Del Monte ketchups come in plastic squeeze bottles, which I like very much, while Heinz in hard plastic bottles :angry:.

Edit to add:

Anyway, welcome to this wonderful thread, esvobada :smile: . I'm really glad that you have brought up this old topic again.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

omuraisu is a bastardization/combination of two english words, Omelet and Rice, right? Thus "rice omelet" Sort of like aisukurimu is for "ice cream"?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Inspired by this thread, today's lunch is kimchee omuraisu - kimchee, garlic and bacon fried rice in the omelette, sauced (lightly) with a mix of ketchup and chipolte. Not bad, but will have to work on the sauce - bit too much of a clash of flavors between the chipolte and kimchee.

You can see a photo of the same omuraisu as that that appeared in the movie tampopo:

http://www.geocities.jp/backen_records/tra...kyo/taimei.html

Position the cursor on the photo and see what happens.

At 1850 yen, it's obscenely expensive even by the Japanese standard.

Anyway, you can order it at Taimeiken if you like.

http://www.omurice.com/omurice/nihonbashi.html

(Japanese only)