• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

omuraisu

how depressing, gosari is in the top 5-10 favorite namuls. ):

I don't know if I should stop eating it or not, its so damn delicious!  It is a sad day indeed for sheena  :sad:

Don't stop eating it, SheenaGreena! You won't get a cancer from it unless you have a truckload of it at once. Besides, almost all of the carcinogen contained in bracken, Ptaquiloside, will be decomposed in the aku-nuki (harshness removal) process.

副食として食べている程度ならば害はない。またアク抜き処理をすればプタキロサイドはほとんど分解する。ワラビでがんを発病するためには、1度にトラック1杯分のワラビを摂取しなければならない。
from here

thanks hiroyuki! Unfortunately I can't read japanese, but I translated it with the help of google and managed to somewhat understand it. I'm very happy my delicious fernbracken is okay to eat

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I don't know if I should stop eating it or not, its so damn delicious!  It is a sad day indeed for sheena  :sad:

Don't stop eating it, SheenaGreena! You won't get a cancer from it unless you have a truckload of it at once. Besides, almost all of the carcinogen contained in bracken, Ptaquiloside, will be decomposed in the aku-nuki (harshness removal) process.

副食として食べている程度ならば害はない。またアク抜き処理をすればプタキロサイドはほとんど分解する。ワラビでがんを発病するためには、1度にトラック1杯分のワラビを摂取しなければならない。
from here

Hmmmm...ok, but then what accounts for the higher incidence of stomach cancer amongst populations that eat fern bracken?

from here

Hmmmm...ok, but then what accounts for the higher incidence of stomach cancer amongst populations that eat fern bracken?

OK, OK, but the exact causes of stomach cancer have not been identified. Doctors say the causes include salty foods, partially scorched foods (such as grilled fish), too hot (i.e. high-temperature) foods, overeating, eating fast, alcohol, and cigarettes.

I suspect there are other factors. One biologist friend suggested that earlier use of talc in rice production can't have been very helpful as there is some evidence that the mineral is associated with higher stomach cancer rates.

I'm not sure that talc is still in widespread use, but it probably explains the Japanese concern with cleaning (or polishing, if more literally translated) rice before cooking it.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

OK, OK, but the exact causes of stomach cancer have not been identified. Doctors say the causes include salty foods, partially scorched foods (such as grilled fish), too hot (i.e. high-temperature) foods, overeating, eating fast, alcohol, and cigarettes.

But thats America right there, more so then Japan...

We have BBQ several times a month where the beef and chicken is burnt....

Bracken is PROVEN to cause cancer in animals stomachs..Why not ours too?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

But thats America right there, more so then Japan...

We have BBQ several times a month where the beef and chicken is burnt....

Bracken is PROVEN to cause cancer in animals stomachs..Why not ours too?

Didn't I say that? Aku-nuki (harshness removal)! :biggrin: And not eating too much of it.

People always forget that so many things have carcinogenic properties in one way or another... moderation, rather than complete elimination of ingredients, is usually called for.

In fact, burnt/smoked food is in that category, yet I doubt anyone will avoid smoked food completely just for a marginal improvement in cancer risk.

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

thanks to hiroyuki and jason true I am no longer scared to eat my delicious go sari. I forgot that burnt and smoked foods are carcinogenic, but I will still eat them.

everything in moderation (except for a few yummy things)

how we went to omurisu to gosari namul I will never know

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Has anyone seen a video or a good recipe of how to make omuraisu? I am trying to make the perfect tampopo style (omelet on top) omuraisu. I have been asked to cook hamburg omuraisu with demiglace sauce and butter rice for 10 people at a birthday party in January, and I accepted. Non-stick pan or blue steel pan? Butter or oil, and how much? Stir then flip, or no stirring? The problem I am having is that I can't get the omelet to stay in one piece and the bottom of the omelet is not smooth.

Has anyone seen a video or a good recipe of how to make omuraisu? I am trying to make the perfect tampopo style (omelet on top) omuraisu. I have been asked to cook hamburg omuraisu with demiglace sauce and butter rice for 10 people at a birthday party in January, and I accepted. Non-stick pan or blue steel pan? Butter or oil, and how much? Stir then flip, or no stirring? The problem I am having is that I can't get the omelet to stay in one piece and the bottom of the omelet is not smooth.

You can easily find such recipes by googling オムライス 作り方. I found some for you:

http://form.allabout.co.jp/M/cookingabc/050518/mt02904/

http://plus1.ctv.co.jp/bangumi/02tue/2004/02/18/01.html

Other good keywords: タンポポ (tampopo) たいめいけん (taimeiken, the name of the restaurant that first invented this type of omuraisu).

Good luck! :wink:

Are you having a problem with making an omelet?? :raz:

• 1 month later...

I always wanted to try omuraisu. I don't eat ketchup that often, but not because I don't like it, it's more the lack of opportunities (I rarely eat fries, hotdogs, hamburgers, etc). But the concept of rice dressed with tomato-based sauce isn't that alien to me: jambalaya and arroz rojo (Mexican red rice) are great. So I finally made omuraisu:

Omuraisu_06.jpg

Omuraisu_07.jpg

It was delicious! The ketchup flavour wasn't dominant to my surprise.

I used diced red thai chili, onion, chicken, shiitake, ketchup and of course rice for the fried filling. The topping is ketchup, the dab with the chili sticking out is sriracha. My omu skills are weak. I need more practice!

Edited by ChryZ (log)

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

• 1 month later...

I came down with a really bad case of food poisoning before Christmas. I was on the sofa (a mere 2 m dash to the toilet) for almost a week. I began to feel better after about 4 days, but there was barely any food in the house - my husband had been ordering delivery the whole time. But the hunger hit me hard, and I was still too weak to venture out and source something on the street. I looked in my fridge - rice, eggs, and various other condiments. Hmm. What to make?

I took a fortifying swig of Pocari Sweat.

Eggs and rice - that sounds nice and bland. Hey! I could make omuraisu! But wait! No ketchup!

What's that lurking in the back.....?

gallery_41378_3106_395321.jpg

This could work. Just fry the pickle in the rice......

gallery_41378_3106_333721.jpg

Make the egg....

gallery_41378_3106_76756.jpg

Oh No! Even the egg is horrified at what I've attempted!

gallery_41378_3106_490236.jpg

That's okay, a dollop of Kewpie mayonnaise will make everything better.

gallery_41378_3106_69088.jpg

Was it better than omuraisu? I'm not sure. But I did keep it down.

Hiroyuki? I had to go back and look at what you are asking about.

Branston Pickle is crisp veggies in a Worcestershire scented "ketchup".

Its sweet, crunchy and delightful on a burger or cheese sandwich!

Thanks! :biggrin:

• 8 months later...

I made omuraisu for thanksgiving lunch. filling is my chicken rice which is made of diced onion, turmeric, chicken bouillon, ketchup and rice. my omelette skills are getting better! I can now make wrapped type and semi-liquid omelette on top types fairly well. this is wrapped type:

gallery_23727_2765_14536.jpg

gallery_23727_2765_13416.jpg

It was delicious! I have been using 地玉子 local eggs recently and they really make the difference. 30¥ for one egg though.

• 2 months later...
I personally love omurice... not that I make it the traditional way with the ketchup rice.

Try... rice fried in butter with bacon and garlic, add chopped celery if you like or a bit of pickled mustard greens if you want a little bit of that bitter kick. 

I then make the omelette, put the rice inside and shake shake shake the pan to create your rolled over omelette.

You can put a squiggle of ketchup on top as an homage to the original version!

Thanks for the idea! I added a bit of leftover pulled pork BBQ (lightly dressed with a vinegar BBQ sauce) and a bit of drained collards to the rice for the filling. Made the omelet and topped it with a bit of regular BBQ sauce for a "Southern Omuraisu"

It was tasty!

I know my cousin's little kids would love the original.

Edited by Susie Q (log)