• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines of the world party

Larry

In the process of planning dad's 50th birthday party that will take place at the end of the month. Doing all regional appetizers with various wines from that country. Here are the countries that my mom and I have chosen and the menu that I have just started to work with. I'm not sure about California and Australia so help there would be greatly appreciated. Also, any other suggestions about the other countries and great easy apps would be great. My dad likes everything except mushrooms and really finicky little things to pick up. Also, the products have to be available in Ottawa or Montreal, Ottawa preferrably because that's where it will be.

So far...

France

- cheese plate

- onion confit on baguette

Italy

-bresaola or prosciutto platter with parmesan/romano and greens

-chickpea tapenade bruschetta

Germany

-tarte flambée

Spain

- sizzling chorizo bites doused in sherry

- manchego cheese with roasted pears

Chile

- grilled tenderloin kebabs with chimichurri

Canada

- some sort of smoked salmon thing, perhaps blinis?, maple

California

-

Australia

-

Dessert

Assortment of biscottis and squares, fruit platter

Deep dish blueberry pie and apple pie with vanilla ice cream (his favourite)

Larry,

Sounds like a great party!

Don't know if you could call the dish exactly Australian, but since you have to have Shiraz if you're doing Aussie wine, how about some lamb meatballs?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Larry,

Sounds like a great party!

Don't know if you could call the dish exactly Australian, but since you have to have Shiraz if you're doing Aussie wine, how about some lamb meatballs?

Or baby lambchops?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

For California, I'd suggest something quintessencially California Cuisine-like. Puck did it with Salmon Pizza (but you already have Salmon) so I might suggest something like Lobster Ceviche with Avocado or Duck Confit Quesadillas with Mango Salsa.

Australia - Ostrich! If you can't find that, then I understand Meat Pie(scroll down for recipes) is typical Aussie fare.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

For California, I'd suggest something quintessencially California Cuisine-like. Puck did it with Salmon Pizza (but you already have Salmon) so I might suggest something like Lobster Ceviche with Avocado or Duck Confit Quesadillas with Mango Salsa.

Speaking of mango salsas.... http://www.laweekly.com/ink/printme.php?eid=51743

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Speaking of mango salsas.... http://www.laweekly.com/ink/printme.php?eid=51743

Oddly, it only came to mind because for a change, I went out for lunch and HAD a Duck Confit Taco with Mango Salsa!

<it was lovely and only $3.00>