• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savoy, Blue Water, or Bayard's

JeffWilson

OK, I have narrowed my choices down to Savoy, Bayard's, and Blue Water Grill for my 40th birthday party. There will be 35 people and I don't want a place that's TOO noisy (not sure about the private room at Blue Water and if that is noisy). Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks very much in advance!

Jeff

Jeff-I actually had a birthday party in the upstairs room at Savoy something like 6-7 years ago. I think we had 40 people. I like the upstairs room better in the winter when they are cooking in the fireplace. But it is nice and quiet up there. Not formal at all and without pretention.

I would second the choice of Savoy.  The upstairs room and bar are really fab.

I can't comment on Bayard's, as I haven't been there since the chef change, but it is a rather different type of restaurant -- more formal and grand than Savoy.

Blue Water Grill is fine, but rather ordinary, in contrast to the two other places on your list.

I know you have narrowed down your list to these three, but let me make one unsolicited recommendation: Il Buco.  I've done a few parties of a similar size there.  A truly great wine list and, as a recent visit confirms, the food has gotten better with age (the recent chef change notwithstanding).  You can book the wine cellar for the party or the back room.

Have fun! :smile:

Jeff--I'd give serious weight to Steve's suggestion of Savoy if only because of the upstairs room.  Private rooms--your own perfectly-sized piece of real estate for a period of time--can be wonderful.

As mogsob said, there are lots of private rooms and spaces within restaurants that could accomodate your party.

But please don't infer from Steve's post that Bayard's is pretentious--I'm not sure he meant to make a direct comparison of Savoy's informality with Bayards pretension. As mogsob hinted at, they're different restaurants.  Bayards has more serious, refined cooking--by a more talented chef capable of achieving an elegance on the plate to match the more elegant surroundings.  And Bayards has one incontrovertible plus--a talented pastry chef, Eric Bedoucha, who in my opinion is perhaps the best pastry chef working in NYC at the moment.  (Another plus--when Eric was pastry chef at La Grenouille he often created special desserts for parties in their private room.)

Bayards is a Grimes two-star--that I felt should have been a three.  (Savoy got two on the relaxed Reichl bell curve a few years ago and I haven't been since.)

I think another aspect Steve pointed to is important--that the same space could have a different feel on different days of the week and at different times of day.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I got married in the upstairs room at Savoy. Not only was the room lovely and casual, but I found that Peter Hoffman and his staff worked hard at making this an easy experience for us - meaning, they'll work with you on menu selection and wine. Since it was my wedding, I have no idea what the food was like but my guests assured me it was fine. I liked that they cooked some of the appetizers on the fire in the back room.

Also, Peter's a regular supporter of the greenmarket, if that matters to you.

I got married in a restaurant, too, Liza--and my experience was fabulous...perhaps this has the makings of its own thread--are food knowledgeable people more likely to get married in a restaurant--so a chef can work in his space--rather than rent a space and have to deal with logistics and caterers offsite?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Good point, Steve. I guess there is a lot unsaid in this kind of decision, such as knowing the chef will produce his/her best work in his/her own environment; preferring to spend money on the food rather than spending for a venue.

Specific to Savoy, was knowing that I would walk down the "aisle" with my Dad, from the Soho Grand to the corner of Crosby and Prince!

Wow, thanks for all the great comments. I will also be looking at Il Buco now. THe party is in Sept so I have LOTS of time. I was recently laid off so I needed something to do between (non-existent) interviews.  Savoy seems to be leading but I think I should try both out. Bayard's gave a nice choice of 3 menus at different price levels which I liked. Savoy was a lot more vague. Bayard's has several private rooms available, while Savoy said that they would close their main dining room. Does Savoy have a party planner? The guy I spoke to didn't get very specific and that had me a bit nervous, but obviously there are several happy brides in here so they must do a great job. Thanks again to everyone for all their comments.

I worked with someone at Savoy but it's a bit of a blur now, though I will say everything worked out.

Steve,

You'll love the pictures. I'll make sure to bring them in when you come to NYC.