• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bucks County: Newtown/ Trenton Area

painemilla

My favorite restaurant in the area is a place called "No. 9" in Lambertville, NJ. A lovely little place with ceramic bowls of fresh vegetables adorning the window sills and a hard working chef who really cares about his food, this is a great place to dine. Don't miss the goat cheese and potato tart, also the short ribs and the rack of lamb are particularly good. A moderately priced, terrific New American. Got 3 stars in NJ Monthly.

Menu and Photos Here

I'll second the reccomendation for #9 in Lambertville. I'm also a fan of Marsha Brown's in New Hope, which is slightly cajun/creole. ALSO: in New Hope there is Anton's at the Swan for French-inspired, Odettes and Martines. which are French Bistro inspired, Esca is Latin/Pan American. In Lambertville, the above mentioned #9, and there's a great bar/lunch or casual dinner place, Inn of the Hawke.

We live in Newtown, so I can give you a few recommendations.

As for Italian, there is a wonderful, cozy trattoria right here on State Street (the main street that runs through the center of town). It's called Trattoria "----", but you can't miss it because our town center is only three blocks long. Do not confuse it with Il Sol, which is not on State Street and is not anywhere near as good.

If your tastes run to good continental, I would suggest the Brick Hotel, which, as you may suspect, is also on State Street (it's a big white inn/restaurant). They enclosed their wraparound porch in glass, giving a nice faux al fresco dining opportunity. Sunday brunch is amazing at the Brick, so if you don't hit it for dinner I would urge you to get there on Sunday.

We had a good French place, but it closed (Jean Pierre's).

No Spanish in Newtown, as far as I know.

If you were going to head to any of the Lambertville/New Hope places, they are about 20 minutes north of Newtown. Take Route 31 or 29 on the NJ side for the scenic route up the Delaware.

roman hall in trenton, chamberburg. i have be going there over 30 yrs...there has been remoldeling...italinate statues and a few chandeliers. they have great guy playing the piano and i think he wears a white suit. the absolute best chicken cacciatore on the bone, white sauce. best anywhere and cheap....they also have a great variety of seafood dishes over pasta and de-lish sauce...goood coctails also

I wanted to thank you all for your recommendations. My folks live in Newtown so I visit often and you have refreshed our dining options...now I have a new hit list.

Although, my plan was to go to No. #9, a friend suggested Malaga's in Trenton (http://www.malagarestaurant.com/). I have actually gone several times over the years but it had been some time since I had been there. As I remembered, it was excellent. The Sangria is good, atompshere is great and the food is excellent. We have the calamaria and red pepper appitizers. I had the shrimp in white wine and my husband try the Mariscada Verde which he loved!

From the recomendations from Newtown, I am actually familiar with Cafe con Leche. My husband is Chilean and was happy to find out that the owner was from his part of the world, which is quite a rarity in PA. We particularly enjoy their soups and the mozerella and tomato sandwich with chimichurri sauce. We haven't been to the Tratorria but hope to get their soon. Goodnoe's is always a favorite but I was disappointed to see that Rita's Water Ice only opened next weekend so I guess we'll have to wait until out next visit to enjoy a gelati!

I will be following up on all of your recommendations so I will give you feedback over the coming months.

I'm just outside of DC so if you come my way, drop me a note!

roman hall in trenton, chamberburg.  i have be going there over 30 yrs...

Wow! I too grew up going to Roman Hall in Chambersburg-- I had no idea it was still in business. It's what Italian food was to me as a kid.

Thanks for the nostalgia hit! And for all the current recommendations-- I grew up in Yardley & still get back there occasionally.

Neil

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Newtown again over the weekend and decided to check out Cafe con Leche for dinner with my husband and parents. We had a lovely dinner. We brought our own bottle and our meal with excellent. I had the Seasame Tuna, my husband the Filet with Chimichurri sauce. My parents tried the soups and decided on the quesadillas.

It was an excellent meal and very relaxing.

• 1 month later...

Full Moon Cafe, Lambertville, NJ, for breakfast or lunch. I'm a sucker for a great eggs benedict, and theirs is the best I've ever had.

http://www.ardore.com/listing.asp?r=fullmo...erdon&m=a&l=all

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org