• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is royaltine?

tan319

According to the pastry competition rules:

Any items or ingredients that can be made in a kitchen, must be made during the competition, with the following exceptions:

* pastry fondant, gum paste

* all commercial cereals

* all commercial wafers products(feuilletine, royaltine)

So clearly it is some sort of commercial wafer product.

Ted,

I worked at a resort where the pastry chef made what he called royaltine candies that he used for mignardies. The " royaltine" part is a commercial product, that I was told was crushed up cigarette cookies. I believe it is very similar to ,or may be in fact the same thing, as feullitine ( I have actually never really seen feullitine in person, only in catalogs and in recipes in magazines, but it seems to look very similar to me.) I don't know though if they are interchangeable in recipes. Hopefully somebody more familiar with it can chime in.

The royaltine candy, just to finish my thoughts, was this " royaltine ' ( very crunchy ) mixed with tempered orange-milk chocolate, chopped candied orange and hazelnut paste, scooped very small and let set. Extremely good :smile:

HTH

Jason

Thanks for the info.

Feullitine is like little flakes of those fan like cookies you see garnish ice cream coupes etc.

Almost cereal like.

Very good taste, very good crunch factor.

You get ALOT of product when you purchase, be warned, but it keeps well.I got mine from Cocoa Barry, I believe.

I saw the royaltine in a recipe of Iuzzini's in that PA&D '10' best issue, had to ask.

That candy sounds good!

2317/5000

I love royaltine! I could eat a bowlful with a spoon. :biggrin:

We used it in several recipes in school, though my favorite was mixed with chocolate and praline paste and used as a layer in a white chocolate raspberry cake. It stays crispy a long time and makes a great textural contrast.

fan like cookies you see garnish ice cream coupes

You just brought back memories of Swensen's Ice Cream Parlor! They are, I believe, long out of business, but I used to prefer them to Farrell's as you got the "neat little flaky cookie" on your ice cream concoction!

Who'd've thunk that I would have been a little gourmet as a 6 year old!

You just brought back memories of Swensen's Ice Cream Parlor! They are, I believe, long out of business

Not quite. There was one in the Stardust hotel when I was in Vegas last spring. However, you aren't missing anything; it was not good.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

You just brought back memories of Swensen's Ice Cream Parlor! They are, I believe, long out of business

Not quite. There was one in the Stardust hotel when I was in Vegas last spring. However, you aren't missing anything; it was not good.

Oh, how very sad... they were a tad more "elegant" than Farrell's and introduced me to the concept of the Phosphate.

QUOTE (Lesley C @ Feb 21 2004, 06:52 AM)

Royaltine is the DGF brand name for Pailletee Feuilletine. 

Thanks, Lesley.

So, it's the same thing, huh?

Yes it's all crushed up gaufrette, those layered wafer cookies, often in a fan shape, that come wrapped with ice cream in France. It's the classic base for a Royale Chocolat (chocolate mousse cake set on a crunchy base made of pailletee, praline and milk chocolate). You can also make great chocolates with the stuff, though the rough texture tends to snap guitar strings. Pierre Herme's terrific Cerise sur le Gateau cake is loaded with it.