• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

More gelatinous in terms of the meat ? This is very interesting ... Would your assessment then be that the browning “facilitates” the leakage of gelatine into the sauce ? 

No what I was trying to convey is that the browning might "seal" the meat and even inhibit. However I am not a science nerd so this is all anecdotal. Browning gives us some "maillard" but I have seen in other cuisines that just "tossing the meat in" may not be a bad thing.  I used to brown the lamb shanks but last 2 times just tucked them in the slow cooker. Loved them as much as ever. 

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

More gelatinous in terms of the meat ? This is very interesting ... Would your assessment then be that the browning “facilitates” the leakage of gelatine into the sauce ? 

No what I was trying to convey is that the browning might "seal" the meat and even inhibit. However I am not a science nerd so this is all anecdotal. Browning gives us some "maillard" but I have seen in other cuisines that just "tossing the meat in" miay not be a bad thing.  I used to brown the lamb shanks but last 2 times just tucked them in the slow cooker. Loved them as much as ever. 

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

No what I was trying to convey is that the browning might "seal" the meat and even inhibit. However I am not a science nerd so this is all anecdotal. Browning gives us some "maillard" but I have seen in other cuisines that just "tossing the meat in" miay not be a bad thing.  I used to brown the lamb shanks but last 2 times jut tucked them in the slow cooker. Loved them as much as ever.