• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanuts in soda

FistFullaRoux

The last time I tried this, I was all excited because I was using these fancy gourmet peanuts that were my current food obsession -- and which, of course, were too big to fish out of the can once plunked in.

So I'll second (edit: third) Tom's as brand of choice. Although Planter's cocktail peanuts are pretty good. Just don't use anything seasoned, honey-roasted, etc.

Edited by Ktepi (log)

As a north-of-the-49th dweller who's never tried this beverage/snack combo, I have a question for those who have: have you ever inadvertently choked on a peanut?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

As a north-of-the-49th dweller who's never tried this beverage/snack combo, I have a question for those who have:  have you ever inadvertently choked on a peanut?

Still breathing. Never came close.

As a north-of-the-49th dweller who's never tried this beverage/snack combo, I have a question for those who have:  have you ever inadvertently choked on a peanut?

Nope. When you get near the bottom of the bottle/can, use your teeth as a screen. :wink:

Of course you don't choke, this was done with a glass bottle of D.P.., Tom's of course. I learned this at 4. Next time I see a DP in a glass bottle, I'll buy some and do it again. Sorry, it's not the same in a can.

Where is Tom's located anyway? They just always seemed to have they're little displays everywhere.

My Dad prefers spanish peanuts and pepsi in the long-necked bottles- I don't know if those are available anymore, though. I really do wonder where this idea came from. He was raised primarily in southern California and Hawaii, so I can certainly see how the man would appreciate a cold beverage. Perhaps the peanuts-in-the-bottle simply meant less to carry. When you're toting a surfboard you've only got one hand free, why not load up the remaining hand with sugar, salt and protein? :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

You do DP&P in a CAN??? I never heard of such a thing. What you do is, get the GLASS bottle as near freezing as possible, whissssssh the top off and drink down that first icyburn swig. Hold the bottle in one hand, pick up the crinkly packet with the other, tear a strip off the top with your teeth, PUH it off into the grass, and hold the pack carefully, tightly, against the opening of the bottle, keeping your fingers encircled round the cellophane so as to prevent escape of even one of those fat little crunchy fellows, and letting the peanuts rattle out and down for a dip and fizz.

If it runs over, clap your lips over the entire bottletop, to capture every delicious, foamy drop--bottle posture is VERY important in this step---make sure it's upright. THEN, you upend the bottle for another hearty drink, getting peanuts in every mouthful. If you're in company, try to chew without ejecting any of the still-fizzing drink, and try to make the liquid/peanut ratio come out even. Getting the last couple of halves unstuck from their grip on an empty, still-wet bottlebottom is dang nigh impossible, even if it IS upside down, being shaken mightily.

With a can, how do you know you gottum all?

And cheese crackers, indeed. Those are NABS, y'all!! :raz:

Y'all need to realize, the can isn't -- in my experience -- a preferred replacement for the glass bottle, it's an alternative to the plastic bottle that's driven the glass off most the shelves and out of even moster of the vending machines. (I can't remember the last time I saw a glass bottle vending machine other than the ones that charge airport prices for their "hey it's glass bottles!" novelty.)