• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Presidential Cocktails

beans

< roll the brassy rendition of Hail to the Chief >

Yup, I've got cocktails for every occasion. And before the onslaught of young, lusty eyed couples descend upon our restaurant this evening ordering those eensy splits of sparkling wine (we sell record numbers of these on both Valentine's and Sweetest day holidays so I've stocked our wine cooler accordingly to the brim with cute mini bottles of Chandon) I thought I'd get this posted in the nick of time. So all of you banker and PERS collecting types take a looksy, make/sip any of the following and raise a toast to our Presidential leaders. :raz:

Here's an article worthy of a wee peek. Interesting cocktail recipes are at the bottom.

Numerous occupants of the Oval Office have been known for a signature cocktail or spirit. Ulysses S. Grant was a bourbon drinker whose Civil War leadership inspired Abraham Lincoln to inquire, "What brand of whiskey Grant preferred," as he "would like to send some to his other generals." John F. Kennedy relished serving daiquiris aboard the Presidential Yacht Sequoia and the common thread between Dwight Eisenhower, Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon -- scotch.

Cheers!

Great link! I really enjoyed it. Although I don't know what LBJ would think about have himself associated with a drink involving kahlua.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

I recall several stories about presidents and their favorite cocktails. FDR loved his martinis & supposedly the receipt he used was 2/1 gin/vermouth w/ a splash of olive brine & both an olive & twist. The Little White House in Warm Springs has several of his cocktail shakers on display. John Chancellor told the story about LBJ that Johnson wanted to promote the fact that he would drink bourbon b/c he thought it good for his Texas/Southern image but Chancellor pointed out that the "bourbon" LBJ drank usually came fr/a Chivas bottle ( I must agree w/ SML as I can not see LBJ drinking Kahlua). Nixon loved good scotch, particularly Ballantine's 25 year old blend. However, he was cheap & would have the good stuff poured for himself & everyone else would get the 12 year old Ballantine's.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

You know, C-SPAN radio broadcasts some of those LBJ tapes. In one of them, he called former President Truman to ask him to go to the funeral of the King of Greece, to represent the US. He also asked HST to take his wife along. To add some points to the request, he told President Truman that they would have that bourbon that she liked.

Somehow, you have more respect for women who drink brown goods.

LARRY W