• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Various Australian non-Shiraz

futronic

This was the second flight of wines served at our wine dinner in January.

1999 Rosemount Mountain Blue

Deep ruby red/burgundy colour, almost opaque. Aromas of mint, blackberry, eucalyptus. Big nose! Full-bodied, peppery wine with black crushed fruit. A little hot with hints of cough syrup. Lingering finish, ~ 30-40s. 89 points. My #3 WOTF, the group’s #1 WOTF.

1995 Wolf Blass Black Label

Medium ruby red with fat, slow legs. Aromas of vanilla, amyl acetate, chocolate. Medium-full bodied with black/red crushed fruit. Oak and tannins have integrated will with the fruit. Dry finish, ~ 30s. 87 points. The group’s #2 WOTF.

1999 Elderton CSM

Ruddy red colour. Aromas of vanilla, raspberry, cherry, currant. Medium-bodied with red fruit on the palate. Short, dry finish. 85 points.

2000 Rosemount GSM

Crystal clear, medium ruby red. Aromas of grilled meat, raspberry, earth, cherries, and Asian spice. Medium-full bodied with black cherries and huge amounts of raspberry coulis. Long finish with raspberries continuing through. 90 points. My #2 WOTF.

1998 Penley Estates Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

Opaque ruby/purple colour. Aromas of barnyard, black fruit, eucalyptus, vanilla, and a touch of herbaceousness. Full-bodied with well-integrated tannins. Black fruits (figs) and glycerin on the palate. 40-45s of length on the finish. 87 points. The group’s #3 WOTF.

1998 Reynella Basket Pressed Cabernet Sauvignon

Opaque ruby/purple colour. Aromas of banana leaf, eucalyptus, and red fruits. Full-bodied, very accessible wine. Red/black fruits on the palate. Hints of pepper with some grapiness to it. Moderate finish, ~ 30-35s. 87 points.

1998 Penfolds RWT

Deep ruby colour. Aromas of flat Coca-Cola, raspberry, and blackberry. Medium-full bodied with loads of raspberry coulis, cola and red fruit. 30-40s finish with more raspberry notes. 91 points. My #1 WOTF.