• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Various Basic Trinities

heidih

14 minutes ago, Franci said:

In my area, in Puglia, even being South, people are not used to chilies at all. My parents and extended family tolerance to chilies is to the point that I barely feel it. Some people like it but it’s a personal preference. Chilies usage is scattered, depending from the area food traditions (Calabria, Campania).   

Yeah, those are the regions I was thinking about. Not fully southern! I love the Calabrian chilies!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

So, we're into page two of this thread and no mention of the Cajun/Creole Trinity? Onions, celery, and bell pepper. The start of many classic dishes. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

2 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

So, we're into page two of this thread and no mention of the Cajun/Creole Trinity? Onions, c elery, and bell pepper. The start of many classic dishes. 

We are far too cultured and polite to mention bell peppers!

I apologise from.the heart of my bottom for just so doing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I guess we were poor enough when I was a kid we didn't have a trinity, we had a duo -- onions and bacon grease. We grew peppers, both the hated green bells and bananas and jalapenos and some tiny little green ones that were hotter'n hell, but generally ate them either raw or pickled. Mama only rarely cooked with celery, and I don't remember there ever being garlic bulbs in the house, though there was a shaker of garlic salt or powder.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I do not hate green bell peppers. In fact, I like them very much - raw and cooked, but they don’t like me anymore, so I use the more ‘mature’ red bell peppers with the celery and onion for my gumbo.

Edited by robirdstx (log)