• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Various Basic Trinities

heidih

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

And plenty of good olive oil.

So true !

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

The first one that I see online when I googled sofregit:

This sofregit is the Catalan version of the classic sofrito that is the foundation of many, many authentic Spanish dishes, including the spicy sauce that anoints skewers in the photo. It’s a simple sauté of onion, tomato, and bell pepper that basically bubbles together low and slow on the stovetop until everything literally melts together.

I better not show this to my MIL 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

According to the Catalan Wikipedia entry, sofregit is mostly made up from tomatoes and onions, however, “a little bit of pepper” may be used.

It seems in the south of Caralunya - Valencia county - a sofregit made from tomatoes and onions alone is used for fish and seafood, while the one including small amounts of peppers is used for meat and (likely salted) cod. Interesting - it’s all a continuum 🤗