• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

120 hungry college students

Malawry

This is a staple in Texas kitchens. Usually when the recipe calls for them, the cook just says, "1 can RoTel."

If you can't find them in your local supermarket (they are more likely to be with the Goya beans and mexican products than with the other canned tomatoes), they are always at my local bodegas.

I've decided to go with something tex-mexy, but haven't worked out exactly what yet.

Hey -- how's about that Texas comfort food fave, King Ranch Chicken???? :biggrin:

Bingo. Great Idea. Everybody likes it and when they become Jr. Leaguers they will have one more dish in their repetoire for luncheon. :wink::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not to mention church suppers, and school potlucks, and "carry dish" weddings and funerals.

Oh yeah.

Got to know how to make up a pan of this stuff if you wanna raise a family in Texas.

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've decided to go with something tex-mexy, but haven't worked out exactly what yet.

Hey -- how's about that Texas comfort food fave, King Ranch Chicken???? :biggrin:

Bingo. Great Idea. Everybody likes it and when they become Jr. Leaguers they will have one more dish in their repetoire for luncheon. :wink::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not to mention church suppers, and school potlucks, and "carry dish" weddings and funerals.

Oh yeah.

Got to know how to make up a pan of this stuff if you wanna raise a family in Texas.

:biggrin:

Or in Minnesota, land of potlucks and "hot dish."

My grocery carries Ro-Tel in two areas -- canned vegetables and the Mexican section.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

... but when I lived in, probably half the girls were vegetarians (or just eating disordered). 

Also, this IS the Atkins era.  College-age girls tend to be very cognizant of whatever food fads are going around....

Tell me about it. My daughter is a college senior living with seven other women in a townhouse. Due to my influence (I like to humor myself by believing this) she's more adventurous than most her age when trying new foods but even she will always opt for the "safest" thing on the menu when trying a new cuisine.

The irony, as I see it, is that most of her housemates are "vegetarians", yet they do not like vegetables :rolleyes:

I'm in charge of a dinner for a large gathering, and I'm thinking Mexican-inspired as well. What I'm planning is chile verde and grilled chicken thighs with a chipotle-cumin rum, both to be served over rice, or in tortillas as the basis of tacos. Cheese enchiladas and black beans for the vegetarians. I'll probably make two salads, one a rice-corn-bean salad with a cilantro-jalapeno dressing, and the other a jicama slaw with orange, avocado and chipotles.

That's if you don't go with the King Ranch Chicken, of course.

she said, tactfully.

Like there's a chance in hell Malawry would "go with the King Ranch Chicken."

:laugh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Here y'all Yankees go:

King Ranch Chicken

This is delicious. :smile:

Damn straight. :biggrin:

Here y'all Yankees go:

King Ranch Chicken

This is delicious. :smile:

We wouldn't steer you wrong. When one is willing to stand up for a dish ( especially one with three canned items in it, including cream soups) you better make sure that you can back it up with deliciousness. This place is filled with some tough (but always well meaning and constructive :hmmm: ) critics.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I have to turn thumbs down on the potato bar idea for reasons besides the Atkins diet ones. When I was a grad student, I ate at an undergrad co-op, and we hated, *hated* the days when people made baked potatoes for dinner. For one, it doesn't really feel like a "home-cooked" meal, and for another, the leftovers are really boring.

I like the Tex-Mex idea, though they may get that pretty often, too. It's also messy, so if the sisters don't want to have sauce spots on their shirt around the guys, that might not go over so well.

Assuming you're in the Northeast, you might also do tropical fruit for dessert. I know I'm really feeling this long winter here in Ontario, and mangoes make everyone smile...

(Also, while I get the hint that the canned stuff in the chicken casserole is essential, is there any substitute for the tomatoes for those of us who don't live in the US?)

When I didn't have the RoTel tomatoes on hand I have used a can of diced tomatoes and a small can of green chiles. Can you get green chiles where you are? Or you can substitute whatever kind of chiles that you might like. Just be aware that green chiles are mildly hot, not scorching.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

El Pato makes a brand of canned tomatoes with chiles that should be available almost anywhere in North America that sells Mexican stuff. They are very close to Rotel, if just a little spicier. El Pato as a general brand is pretty high quality stuff.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

(Also, while I get the hint that the canned stuff in the chicken casserole is essential, is there any substitute for the tomatoes for those of us who don't live in the US?)

And a good jarred salsa will work, too. But get at least the "moderate" version when it comes to the heat. The Original Ro-Tel is pretty spicy, and it has to have enough picante to carry the entire casserole. If not, it'll come out kinda wimpy.

I made fajitas...chicken or pork, lots of seared peppers and onions, some simple rice with cilantro to go with. Slow-cooked black beans. Guacamole and chips and salsa and sour cream. Cheesecake brownies for dessert.

The boys went home afterwards and asked their catering service (who used to have my job, actually) why they never prepared this sort of thing for the frat house. Sounds like I made a few fans.

Congratulations, Malawry. Sounds like you were a smash hit! :rolleyes:

I was just happy to be ready to serve on time, with plenty of food on hand, of a decent quality. In other words, I take pride in not sucking. :raz:

Pork: Six pork tenderloins out of the freezer. Cut into strips sized similarly to a Wendy's french fry. Rubbed with chile powder, salt, pepper, cumin, fresh garlic, cayenne. Allowed to rest in the fridge. Sauteed in small batches in canola oil.

Chicken: About 13 pounds of chicken breasts, also fresh from the freezer. (:biggrin:) Cut similarly to pork. Similar rub, but sauteed immediately without a rest. Less chile powder and no cayenne so less spicy.

The guac was basically the technique I learned at my job at Ortanique. I was a little nostalgic for those days while making it...I even made it in roughly the same quantity as I'd make it for the restaurant.

The peppers and onions were most fun of all. I just seared them on my griddle at top blazing heat, nothing but salt and a little olive oil. Charred around the edges but still a little snap in the middle. Perfect.

So has the bidding war for your services begun???

Bingo! So, me thinks, you wanna spend the summer with me and two or three of the kids at The Cabin. Paul arrives on every Friday with fresh provisions (other than those we can garner on or near site. Some child care involved. But, there is lots of bobbing in the lake, and those after dark, cocktails on the deck, on the back on the water watching Northern Lights nights...

And, I can pay (up to a point).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Yikes, Snowangel. Your cabin always sounds so perfect.

I actually am fishing around for some summertime work, and am interested in getting involved with teaching kids to cook. (Varm, your kids usually seem to teach me, not the other way around...) However, nobody has started trying to hire me away, and I feel a little sheepish that I get such adulation for simple dishes like fajitas, or tonight's "breakfast-for-dinner" of sour cream-buttermilk pancakes with sausage and eggs.

Does L'Academie still do their camps? I took a bunch in the mid '80's that were amazing! Helped shaped me into the foodie I am today.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe