• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris - Omelettes/Onion Soup

Cheeselady

Cafe du Marche on Rue Cler at Rue de Champ de Mars in the 7th.

Generally I've found the best of that kind of food right in and around markets. Locals eat there everyday and expect good food and good value.

Edited to add that Marie-Anne Cantin - cheese lady - is right around the corner.

Edited by loufood (log)

Café de Flore, Sunday morning or afternoon, inside or upstairs--7.6 euros

Not 'great ' per se, but a great Paris moment. Follow it with their truly great tarte aux citron and a café allongé (long coffee) - at 4 euros for what amounts to 2 cups of coffee, that's a damn fine deal.

I've always had great omelettes at unassuming little cafe/bars all over Paris. Tiny, smoky places, soccer playing on the TV, all locals drinking un café, sidle up to the Zinc (bar) and order. It's amazing how good the omelettes and sandwichs are at these tiny places. The omelette will not be like in the US, expect it light, airy, and fluffy, and NO home fries!! Most locals eat plain-- (Omelette nature) Bon chance!!

• 10 months later...

Hard to envision leaving Paris for an omelette....

Actually, most of the little coffee bars in the residential neighborhoods make a superior "Omelette Nature", they use a crepe-type pan, and they are very light and fluffy. No home fries, though!! :smile:

Having lived in Paris and now visiting 8-12 weeks/year, I'm still seeking the perfect omelette and onion soup. Any and all ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

You may want to try to get your hands on the guide 'Gourmet Paris' by Emmanuel Rubin. Its unique because its organized by dish and gives recommendations on where in Paris to find the best version of each.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946