• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Oh boy, lots of questions.

One, I use whole milk powder because skin powder or 2% just doesn't seem to make a difference.

Two, the milk itself is 2%. Believe it or not, we only have two brands of milk available here and they are both owned by the same company. And they are both only available in 2%. My only other option is to find somebody with a cow.

Three, I use a fresh starter each time. I haven't tried using the yogurt that I make because usually I use it all up in a week and we have so many bugs in the air here that I'm not sure that it wouldn't have contaminants in it after a while.

Four, that price is including the cost of milk, yogurt and powder. I'm curious as to what the cost of electricity is for my little oven but I haven't figured out how to cost that out.

Edit note: I would use a starter if I can find one but that is something that is just not available here

Oh boy, lots of questions.

One, I use whole milk powder because skin powder or 2% just doesn't seem to make a difference.

Two, the milk itself is 2%. Believe it or not, we only have two brands of milk available here and they are both owned by the same company. And they are both only available in 2%. My only other option is to find somebody with a cow.

Three, I use a fresh starter each time. I haven't tried using the yogurt that I make because usually I use it all up in a week and we have so many bugs in the air here that I'm not sure that it wouldn't have contaminants in it after a while.

Four, that price is including the cost of milk, yogurt and powder. I'm curious as to what the cost of electricity is for my little oven but I haven't figured out how to cost that out.