• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mezzaluna

Cusina

I read a little blurb about the Mezzaluna in this month's Cooks Illustrated. I wondered if it would be worthwhile having in the kitchen for chopping herbs etc... or is it just one more gadget to clutter up the drawer and $ I should spend elsewhere?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...692001?v=glance

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I bought one in a Middle Eastern shop because of the "cool" factor and rarely find myself using it (it doesn't fit on my knife magnet so I tend to forget about...)

Now that you've reminded me and I'm moving into a new home, maybe I'll get another knife magnet so it is more accessible!

I had given to me as a gift and rarely use it. I love working/chopping with my knives and find them more efficient. Mine is about the size shown in the picture and I find does not have enough blade area to efficiently chop a mess of herbs.

I have seen the two gals from the River Cafe in London using one on their TV cooking show and they use it with great efficiency and speed. However, theirs is massive. I think the blade size may be important if you are doing large quantities.

Or maybe it is just me and it is a case of practice makes perfect. :shock:

Life is short, eat dessert first

I have one that I bought somewhere because the wooden bowl looked cool and it seemed like a good idea to the time. Then I discovered that the business end of the operation, the blade, was a piece of crap. It squished and bruised herbs rather than chopping. It languished in my pantry, out of sight and out of mind. I have no idea where it is now. I always intended to give the concept another try.

If I do, I intend to get one of the Wusthof choppers. I really don't like the double bladed thing. It could be a bitch to clean all of those sticky leaf bits off the inside surfaces without mincing your fingers. I also can't figure out a good way to sharpen it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I read a little blurb about the Mezzaluna in this month's Cooks Illustrated. I wondered if it would be worthwhile having in the kitchen for chopping herbs etc... or is it just one more gadget to clutter up the drawer and $ I should spend elsewhere?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...692001?v=glance

Spend your money elsewhere. I tried it once and found my chef's knife much more efficient and a multitasker.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I originally saw the ulu used by Eskimo women in Kotzebue Alaska to reduce whales, sea lions, and seals to managable portions. They really worked magic with those knives. Their hands just flew! I never saw anyone use them for chopping though. It's really a skinning type of blade. I'm going to stick with my chefs knives.

Note: The ulu's I saw had larger blades and the curve was longer. It was all in the wrist action.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

Nigella Lawson is a freak for her mezzaluna. I've never seen her chop herbs with anything else.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I actually use mine quite a bit. Osso buco is one of my favorites in the winter, and the mezzaluna is perfect for the gremolata. Makes quick work of a pile of herbs too, plus it's fun!

Cheers,

Squeat

PS I throw it in a bowl of water right after I use it. A quick rinse and a wipe with a dishcloth and it's good to go.

Both an ulu and an mezzeluna were gifted to me. The ulu is too small, tried it, not my preference. The double-bladed mezzeluna (with a lovely wooden chopping board that is dished out/concave/convex) is great. I use it often for fresh herbs and garlic (also love my microplaner for garlic). Mine looks like the Amazon one. The Wusthof is BEAUTIFUL! I use a paring knife to clean off the inside of the blades.

i was given a single-bladed mezzaluna as a gift for christmas, and i enjoy using it for garlic and herbs. sure, i could use my chef's knife to mince them, but my mezzaluna is usually just sitting there and staring me in the face, waiting to be used, so i just give in and use it. it's one of those items i could easily live without in my kitchen, but there's just something kind of fun about using it to chop garlic... :wub:

I have one that I bought somewhere because the wooden bowl looked cool and it seemed like a good idea to the time. Then I discovered that the business end of the operation, the blade, was a piece of crap. It squished and bruised herbs rather than chopping.

Exactly!

The double mezzaluna is even worse. It bruises twice as bad, and food gets wedged between the blades. I think its value as a decorative object far outweighs its usefulness as a tool. Sort of like a vase.

amanda

Googlista

Nigella Lawson is a freak for her mezzaluna. I've never seen her chop herbs with anything else.

Nigella's the only one I've ever seen use a mezzaluna on any of the food shows. She really seems to get into it.

We've got one, and it's a pain in the ass to use, and takes up lots of space. Don't use it anymore. So I should throw it away. Or maybe use it for precision edging my garden.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

size matters. i've got a big, single blade, carbon steel old flea market find. not as versatile as a knife, of course, but fine for heaps of herbs.

a bit more difficult to hone or sharpen than a knife, though.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

I also use one for mincing herbs and garlic. It comes in handy, especially if you have to mince a larger quantity of garlic.

I think it was $13 at kitchens etc, so i don't feel like I *have* to use it that often.

Had one.

Junk.

Chef's knife.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Hmmm... think I'll take a pass. Unless I find one that is too pretty to deny.

Thanks for the input.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad