• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fascino

Lreda

List as of 2/24. Anyone for the waiting list?

This is the list as of 2/15

Lou Reda and Sue (2)--Reconfirmed

Rosie and Lowell (2)--Reconfirmed

Glenn (1)--Reconfirmed

Amy and Anthony (2)--Reconfirmed

David (1)--Reconfirmed

Zeman--(1)--Confirmed

Bev M (1)--Reconfirmed

Tommy and 1 (2)--will let us know ASAP

Waiting list

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Tommy wife and My girl Sue can't make it. I called Fascino's and talked to Ryan to drop the number to 10. If anyone can't make it PLEASE call Fascino's and let them know. It's a small place and they would appriciate the call as to make room for other customers, See ya in a hour.

Lou

OK, what drunk is 1st? Where's Wild Irish Rosie? great night, food great, wines spectacular, company excellent. I can't catch up on all the wines that were at the table but a summary of food should be brought up and I'll let everyone comment after.

A thanks to The Fascino family for actually giving us the table for the night as they certainly could have turned it over and made some REAL money, but afforded us the privilage of staying for the evening, even though I begged Anthony to throw us out. :wacko:

Excuse me as I'm a little buzzed and I wasn't supposed to keep notes, we brought two professionals but I;ll provide a little summary.

A Amuse that was a garden vegatable puree served in a small martini glass was a nice way to wake the taste buds.

2nd course was spilt amongst us, Big Eye tuna( Very good because Ryan & Anthony use the same purveyors I do) with I believe peppered watercress and a Shrimp cake were good, just a little too breaded for me. though the man with the most posts loved them. :biggrin:

3rd course and my favorite were the homemade rabbit ravioli with Morel mushrooms, they were perfect. Wonderful!!

4th A Bronzini over a risotto cake with cauliflower puree and what I believe was basil or arugola reduced oil. Fish was cooked perfectly. Delightful. Somebody get me a critic's job, quick. :laugh:

Espressos and coffee on request, someone will have to talk about dessert as I had to field calls from family and business and everyone ate my effin dessert. I only had the shortcake with sorbet.

A good start to serious egullet NJ dinners. Pleasure to meet those I haven't before. Yo! Zeman, you da man. D.B. always a good time dude. See ya in the parking lot.

I just hope on 4/21, I up to the task of making such a wonderful dinner. I'm already thinking of my menu as we speak.

Lou

Eff Zagat's!!! :angry:

We had a flawless, exceptional dinner at Fascino. Thanks to Chef Ryan, the DePersio family and staff for providing us with a memorable evening. And thanks also to Chef Lou Reda for getting us all together.

David will be posting pictures as soon as he is finished feeding his babies. Double O we missed you but Bob was a perfect replacement for you. We actually thought it was you Double O when Bob walked in the door. Glenn, Bev, Tommy, Anthony, Amy, David, Bob, Lou --it was a blast. And the wine........ the wine......oh what great wine.

Lou forgot to tell you that we started out with the polenta fries. There were two left over and Amy ate one and I had a third of the second one. Don't know who else finished them. Probably Glenn. Soup was served in a martini glass. Nice touch. Did anyone have bread? I wanted to leave room for the real good stuff so I abstained.

I was so impressed that Chef Ryan served two different appetizers. I loved the shrimp cake with manzinilla olive sauce and the seared big eye tuna with lemon, oregano oil, shaved radish and peppercress was also fabulous.

What can I say about the rabbit ravioli with morel mushrooms except that this should be Chef Ryan’s signature dish. Perfect.

I loved the idea of a cauliflower puree being both a vegetable and a sauce with the John Dory. The fish rested on a gremolata risotto cake and was surrounded by the cauliflower puree and parsley oil. Every plate was clean.

We also had a sampling of desserts as well as plates of biscotti and tuilles. Ryan’s mom, Cynthia is the pastry chef and she should think about writing the Fascino cookbook. We had molten center chocolate cake with hazelnut gelato; apple crostata with cinnamon crème anglaise and cinnamon caramel gelato; pistachio praline bread pudding with warm caramel sauce (don’t miss this outrageously decadent dessert); a shortbread filled with cream and fruit; and a crispy phyllo napoleon I think filled with strawberries and vanilla custard. The official note taker has not sent me her notes yet so this posting may be updated later. Coffee and espresso were served and then I think we had more wine.

In addition to the wonderful food it was so pleasant to dine with other eGulleters. Our next dinner will be at An American Grill—check posting. Hope you can join us.

And the wines………….. :smile:

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Ditto. Perfect evening all around. Well, it would've been perfect if ya remembered my friggin' birthday cake ;-( Great to see the old faces and meet some new ones. I can't believe the DePersios, though -- I never would've seated a bunch of egluttons in the middle of the dang place ;-). Thanks to them for a wonderful meal and for remembering to equip Rosie with a high chair.

what can i say. that was fun. everything and everyone was excellent.

i was extremely pleased with the tuna app. as anthony (fascino) was coming around the table to serve the apps (the tuna for some and shrimp cake for others), he leaned down and said "you had the shrimp cake last time, right? try the tuna". that's a good memory and good customer service given that i've only been there once and that was several weeks ago.

while the food was fantastic, the meal (and conversation i'd bet) was supported very well by the wines.

can you guys take a few seconds to post what wines you all brought? there were some really tasty wines, and i'd like to go out and buy a case of everything i had. they were all my style.

thanks again to fascino and staff. they really do a great job.

Well, Amy and I had a wonderful time meeting everyone. It would have been better if Tommy hadn't made me feel inadequate for having never been to China 46 :raz: . We look forward to the next get together.

Rosie, keep me posted on the stuff you asked me not to mention until you had more info... :smile: Hopefully by the next time, we will have that tasty Turley White Coat...

To the Depersio's, once again you guys prove why you are the best new restaurant in NJ. Keep up the good work! Oh, that shortcake was fantastic...

Anthony

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Tommy, I didn't see your post until after my post was up, so here is the list...

1) 2001 Turley Zin, Pesenti Vineyard

2) 1997 Chimney Rock Cab-------->CORKED

3) 1997 Cooper-Garrod Cabernet, a fantastic wine...I love it

4) RL Buller Muscat

Happy Drinking!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Well, Amy and I had a wonderful time meeting everyone. It would have been better if Tommy hadn't made me feel inadequate for having never been to China 46 :raz: .

worse then never having been to C46 is liking Chengdu 46. there's just no excuse for that type of thing. :biggrin:

and hating NJ doesn't help either. :shock:

Wines

2001 Turley Zin Juvenile

I think the other bottle was Turley 2001 Howell Mt Zin, Pringle Family Vineyard

Also Bev wanted to be sure that everyone knew that their was paprika oil on the veggie puree and robioloa (sp?) cheese and truffle jus with the rabbit.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Toro Albala Don Pedro Ximenez Reserva 1975

i picked that up as a rec from a stranger in a wine store and last night was my first sip. i just bought 4 more bottles. :biggrin:

Zardetto Prosecco, which apparently pleased amy and anthony to no end.

a young-ish CdP (forget the producer) that was left for the staff. we really did have too much freakin wine. not that there's anything wrong with that.

Great night, great food, great company an excellent time. Why did I have to go and drink so much? What did I say? "My head is spinning and my legs are weak". Its good to let your hair down every once in a while, especially when you have as much hair as I do. :smile:

I'm sorry to report that the food pictures came out poorly. I should have gotten more distance between the camera and the plate. Christopher Heirsheimer can rest easy, I won't be taking her job any time soon. The people pictures did come out good, Lou and Ryan, Rosie and Ryan, a couple group shots, I'll post them tonight when I get home.

I'll try and make it to the AAG dinner in April.

Thanks to everyone who made it such a fun evening.

David

"My head is spinning and my legs are weak".

Can I just say...

Bless my soul, what's wrong with me ?

I'm itchin' like a man that's on a fuzzy tree

My friends say i'm acting as wild as a bug.

I'm in love, i'm in love, i'm in love, i'm in love, i'm all shook up.

Ah, ah, ah, all shook up most of the time.

[© gs, birthday boy]