• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low Country Oyster Festival, Charleston SC

Holly Moore

Saw it under quick escapes in the Times. I'm thinking of heading down. Anyone been? What's the weather this time of year?

Sunday, January 25

Boone Hall Plantation

Mount Pleasant, just north from Charleston

Oyster Shucking Contest, Oyster Eating Contest, Oyster Cooking Contest? Lots of Charleston Area Restaurants Participating.

Low Country Oyster Festival

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Pretty sure I'm going. I've been to Charleston a few times, but would appreciate recommends for road food types of places that I have missed. I'm probably going to hit Bowen's Island Fri or Sat night to get in shape for those 65000 lbs of oysters.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Charleston - Day 1

So far this trip, my best investment, eating wise, has been the cab fare to the airport to pick up a rental car. My cab driver, Danny, is a former shrimp trawler crew hand. He knows his fish and he likes to eat. I hit two of his recommends today - The H & R Sweet Shop and the Anchor Line. In between, a stop at Jack's Cosmic Dogs.

H & R Sweet Shop and Beauty Parlor

Mount Pleasant, SC - Just north of Charleston

i2367.jpg

"It's Firday. Everybody in Charleston eats Red Rice and Fish. But you have to know where to get it." Danny did - H & R Sweet Shop (the H & R Beauty Parlor shares the building). Red rice is a Gullah version of Dirty Rice. The red comes from tomatoes. Chunks of Sausage, diced bell pepper and onion too. The fish is fried whiting. A few fried unshelled tiny shrimp too.

THe Anchor Line

Folley Beach - Just south of Charleston

i2366.jpg

"I was there with my wife for our anniversary. That's where she wanted to go. Nothing fancy. Just good food. People's plates and plastic forks." Just past Bowen's Island (roast oysters by the shovelful) which explains why I haven't found it before. Every time I'm on that road I head directly to Bowen's. Glad I mustered the mettle to drive a bit further. Carolina style fried seafood. I had oysters and shrimp. Hush puppies, fries and slaw.

Jack's Cosmic Dogs

Mount Pleasant

i2368.jpg

i2369.jpg

I hit the trifecta here. A good hot dog, fresh cut french fries and an outstanding root beer float.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Thanks for sharing--and while you're on the road! The french fries look excellent!

I've been to Boone Plantation to visit-- (no food involved :sad: ).

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Charleston - Day 2 - Lunch

Your Place

Charleston SC

i2379.jpg

You know the burger will be outstanding when there is more grease on the outside of the bun than inside. Everyone I talked with prior to my trip recommended Your Place for burgers. As cab driver Danny put it, "Them three ladies know how to cook. I see a big lady wearing a greasy apron, the eatings is going to be good."

These are half pound burgers, ground fresh daily by a nearby grill, hand formed into a ball and flattened on the grill.

Tony the Peanut Man

Charleston SC

i2381.jpg

Tony sets up shop on a bench across from the City Market. Sells warm boiled peanuts for $3 a bag. He's been selling peanuts for at least the past 40 years.

Off to the SeeWee for dinner

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Charleston - Day 2 - Dinner

Seewee Restaurant

Rte 17 - 22 Miles north of Charleston

i2501.jpg

Out in the middle of nowhere and a line out the door. Known best for their fried fish from local waters. That's the combo platter, above - fried oysters, shrimp, scallops and flounder - with fried green tomatoes, red rice and greens.

Charleston - Day 3

Low Country Oyster Festival

Boone Hall Plantation

Mt. Pleasant SC

i2502.jpg

i2500.jpg

65,000 oysters, steamed bagfulls at a time. Bring your own shucking glove, oyster knife and a chair. A bucketful for $7.00. Place was packed despite the chill and showers. Serious oyster eaters hereabouts.

Dinner

Jestines

Charleston SC

i2498.jpg

i2497.jpg

Jestine is Jestine Matthews who in here 112 years learned a thing or two about good cooking. I went for shrimp and hominy grits, a Low Country tradition. Sides of greens and green bean caserole prepared with mushroom soup and onions. Not as good as my mom's. My only dessert of the trip - Coca Cola Cake (a southern speciality - coke goes in the batter.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter