• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best cast-iron casserole?

agnolottigirl

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere already--I looked, truly!--but would appreciate any advice about the best overall cast-iron casserole. I'm looking for something I can roast and braise in, that will fit, say a whole chicken or a good-sized braise, cassoulet, etc. I've used a roasting pan, but it's too big for most things and so the liquid-to-surface-area balance is kind of sketchy; and I've used a stoneware casserole I have, but it tends to be on the small side for, say, a chicken AND potatoes.

So far, I've been thinking along the lines of le Creuset, Staub, or the new Boulud cookware, but I have no clue about brand-specific pros and cons. Do you find a 5 or an 8 to be more versatile? How about shape?

Many thanks.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Round shape is best.

7 - 8 quarts is most versatile.

All the brands are more or less the same, although the less expensive brands may have fewer layers of enamel and lower quality enamel.

I prefer Staub, especially for the lids. Le Creuset is the most promoted and general favorite. Chasseur is almost identical to Le Creuset, and less expensive. Descoware is good stuff you can get on eBay (the company is defunkt).

--

I have both round and oval Le Creuset. I find that I use the round more for soups and stews and the oval for more "oval shaped" meats like chicken, pork, brisket, etc. I love my Le Creuset but the other enameled cast iron looks good, too. Shape should be determined by what you cook the most. The stuff is so heavy and heat retentive that small differences in heat transfer for cooking purposes are probably not significant.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The stuff is so heavy and heat retentive that small differences in heat transfer for cooking purposes are probably not significant.

Totally. The only qualitative difference will have to do with the enamel.

--

Thanks for the info! I'll also check out ebay. . . good idea.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

. . . . and so much less expensive than enameled. don't know why I didn't think of Lodge--I love my Lodge skillet. Thanks, WHT.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

I love my Le Creuset dutch oven. It's round & 8 quarts. But I use it for soups, stews, and for braising anything. It's also big enough to fit a chicken. Clean up is a snap. I've never used Chasseur but if it's just like Le Creuset, it's worth a look.

Raw cast iron is not recommended for the kinds of low/slow braising and cooking of long-simmered tomato sauces for which one uses an enameled cast iron casserole. It's too reactive.

is it really that much of a problem? most times, a tomato sauce will be darkish, so discolouring won't show, and a little iron can't be harmful, anyway. only thing i can think of is that the casserolle might slowly rust away...

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

I live alone, so a 4-litre round le Creuset is perfect for me.

I have a 4-quart Wagner ware that I drag out to make tomato sauces. The iron flavor was part of my Grandma's sauces.

The plain iron is also great for browning bones, then making stock.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

Raw cast iron is not recommended for the kinds of low/slow braising and cooking of long-simmered tomato sauces for which one uses an enameled cast iron casserole.  It's too reactive.

is it really that much of a problem? most times, a tomato sauce will be darkish, so discolouring won't show, and a little iron can't be harmful, anyway. only thing i can think of is that the casserolle might slowly rust away...

The problem is not the discoloration, altough that is certainly an issue. The problem is more that the reactive iron causes off-flavors.

If someone doesn't mind, or even appreciates the iron flavor, like Big Bunny, then it's not a problem. Personally, I don't want that flavor in my tomato sauces, braises, stocks, etc.

--

My two cents' worth:

I like the way Staub cooks, but in my experience its thinner clear enamel surface doesn't clean up nearly as easily as the hard enamel surface of Le Creuset.

As for shape, if you want something primarily for roasting and braising rather than, say, stews, you might want to consider what LC calls its "buffet casserole" -- it's much shallower than the round or oval french oven style, but comes with a lid, which makes it more versatile than most dedicated roasting pans. I have a lot of Le Creuset (shall I make everyone jealous and say that most of it was free?) and find that I'm reaching for my two buffet casseroles more and more often. The 5.5 quart is especially useful.

As for shape, if you want something primarily for roasting and braising rather than, say, stews, you might want to consider what LC calls its "buffet casserole" -- it's much shallower than the round or oval french oven style, but comes with a lid, which makes it more versatile than most dedicated roasting pans.

I agree that this configuration is really useful. To amplify Janet's remarks: it's shallow enough that searing is really easy compared to a Dutch oven -- you don't have to reach into the pot to turn things. It's also decent for roasting, as the low sides don't impede the flow of hot air. The height also means it's more attractive for those times when you want to go straight from oven to table with a dish.

I have a lot of Le Creuset (shall I make everyone jealous and say that most of it was free?)

:hmmm:

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Of course, the solution to the unseasoned iron pot problem is to do a lot of deep-frying in it before you cook anything the iron might react with. :raz:

:laugh:

Well, in my book any excuse for deep frying is a good one! That said, while good seasoning can mitigate iron's reactivity quite a bit, it does not entirely eliminate the problem with respect to long/wet cooking and acidic ingredients.

--

I will swerve recklessly and come to a blinding halt from excessive speeds anytime I pass a flea market or roadside sale if I think there is any possibility of reaping the benefits of a great Le Cruset piece or perfectly seasoned Lodge or similar cast iron pan...

My kitchen is full of such triumphs... I have never bought either of these new...

You know, you can get replacement knobs for those dinged up pieces of LC...

Oops, minor edit

Edited by sput (log)

Adam

Chef - Food / Wine / Travel Consultant - Writer

As for shape, if you want something primarily for roasting and braising rather than, say, stews, you might want to consider what LC calls its "buffet casserole" -- it's much shallower than the round or oval french oven style, but comes with a lid, which makes it more versatile than most dedicated roasting pans.

Buffet Casserole

--