• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Over the Hill Wines?

jddoyle

For Christmas, I went through my father-in-law's cellar and put it into an Excel spreadsheet. In doing so I came across a bunch of bottles that I think are probably over the hill or even vinegar by now. The problem is, my experience with ageing is fairly limited, so I was wondering if any of you out there can help me determine if any of the following are worthy of being invited to a "Dead Wine Party".

The Wines:

Germany (I don't know ANYTHING about German wines so God only knows if I got these names right):

1983 Dr Dahlem Erben Oppenheimer Herrenberg Riesling-Eiswein

1985 Kauenthaler Honnenberg Reisling Kabinett Rheingau

1989 Schmitt Sohne Niersteiner Gutes Domtal Auslese Rheinhessen

1990 Reichsgraf von Kesselstat Scharzhofberger Reisling Auslese

1990 Weingut Karl Joh Molitor Rheingau Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg

1990 Dr. Paoly-Bergweiler Berkasteler Graben Reisling Spatlesse

1991 Herm Donnhoff Weingutt Oberhauser Grucke Spatlese Riesling

1992 Weingut Frita Allendorf Oestricher Lenchen Reisling Kabinett

Australia:

1988 Lindemans Bin 45 Cabernet Sauvignon

1991 Lindemans Bin 45 Cabernet Sauvignon

California:

1987 Rodney Strong Alexander's Crown Sabernet Sauvignon

1990 Sullivan Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

1991 St. Clement Cabernet Sauvignon

1991 White Oak Limited Reserve Zinfandel

1991 Kunde Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

1992 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill Cabernet Sauvignon

Oregon:

1993 Amilty Vineyards Winemaker's Reserve Pinot Noir

Other US:

1992 Wente Bros. Special Selection White Zinfandel

OK, just kidding on this one, I think it is safe to say that this was bad the day it was released, but there they were, three, yup, three bottles of this...

Spain:

1986 Baron de Ley Rioja Reserva

Italy:

1986 Bolla Valpolicella

1988 Vignamaggio Chianti Classico

France:

1988 Pierre Sparr Gewurztraminer Mambourg Vandages Tardines Alsace Grand Cru

1982 Chateau Mayne Leveque

1994 Chateau de Combebell "Comte Cathare"

1995 Couvent des Jacobins

1995 Larentz Alsace Grand Cru Altenberg de Bergleim

And the winner:

1975 Sichel (from the Medoc, Bordeaux; sorry I don't have any more information)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Jay Doyle

Oh, sorry, I should have included that. All of these have been stored in a temperature and humidity controlled cellar for as long as he has owned them, some (like that 75 Sichel, whatever the hell that is) were bought or given from other friends similar cellars.

Provenance is not an issue...

Thanks for reading...

Jay

The only ones I'd expect to be in really bad shape now would be the Lindemans, the Rodney Strong cab, and the Pinot from Oregon. I'd expect that the majority of the wines on that list are in good shape, but there's only one way to be sure :laugh:

I doubt the Bolla will be anything worthwhile. That wasn't a particularly good wine even in its heyday. Bolla was/is one of those brands like Lancer's and Mateus that became popular in the 70's with strong marketing and mediocre wine. While it may be drinkable, I wouldn't expect too much from it.

To me the most interesting wines on the list are the eiswein, the Diamond Creek and the Pierre Sparr. While I am not familiar with the maker the '86 Rioja might be superb. I believe that was a good vintage for Rioja.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It must have been nice finding this cache.

Germay - Most should be pretty good. Odd as it may seem, I'd drink the 1992 first. 1983 was a terrific year, and your eiswein should be a great bottle.

Australia - Maybe as cooking wine. Maybe.

California - These should all be enjoyed now, with the exception of the Diamond Creek. That can be left alone for 5+ years yet. The Rodney Strong may show signs of age. And the White Oak might be tired as well.

Oregon - I wouldn't rule it out. But I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope.

Spain - Could be very good.

Italy - See note on Australia re: the Bolla. The CC can be enjoyed now, but it, too, will be showing some age.

France - Drink the Combebell now. The rest should be holding up fine.

Your "winner" - Enjoy that tonight as a reward for having come into possession of this collection. :smile:

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

All of the Germans will be drinkable, and will have matured nicely. Riesling has an amazing capacity for cellaring. Especially the Spatslese, Auslesen and above.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host