• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Champagne is made in Champagne

Craig Camp

Independently of the source of 15% (or 25%)  of the grapes, yes.

Then a wine from Napa is essentially a wine from Napa. Even in the USA, Im tempted to add.

Thats what I wanted to hear: the framework for protection for designators of origin does already exist in the USA. All the French (and the rest of the western world) want is indiscrimating application of such a legal framework, whether the producer is a foreigner or not. In the very sense of fair trade.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Independently of the source of 15% (or 25%)  of the grapes, yes.

Then a wine from Napa is essentially a wine from Napa. Even in the USA, Im tempted to add.

Thats what I wanted to hear: the framework for protection for designators of origin does already exist in the USA. All the French (and the rest of the western world) want is indiscrimating application of such a legal framework, whether the producer is a foreigner or not. In the very sense of fair trade.

Boris, I think cdh's point is that Champagne is now a generic term (like Cheddar) that is used in the US just to mean a dry sparkling white wine. Cheddar of course is not used to mean a sort of white wine. So maybe it's not like that at all. Now I'm confused :wacko: .

Boris, I think cdh's point is that Champagne is now a generic term (like Cheddar) that is used in the US just to mean a dry sparkling white wine.  Cheddar of course is not used to mean a sort of white wine. So maybe it's not like that at all. Now I'm confused :wacko: .

As I said, for wine and sprits the origin rules are essentially undisputed.

The problem for Cheddar (or Gruyère or Emmentaler for that matter) is that these are nor recognized designators of origin in their homebase.

You can produce Emmental not only in the Emmental, but all over in Switzerland.

If theres no clear origin defined in the home country, you cannot request such a protection outside of your country.

Same for "Bourbon". If US law doesnt require Bourbon to be from Bourbon, Kentucky, then everyone is allowed to use it for indicating a type of liquor. In the US and elsewhere.

Again, the basic idea is the indiscriminating use (protection) of such identifyers.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.