• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top 10 LA Neighboorhood Restaurants

quesaxa

have any of you been to campagnola in westwood? a small, intimate italian restaurant (the owner's from sardinia, but the food isn't). it is quite good and as far as i know has never made it into the zagat. on westwood south of wilshire.

I concur on your Campagnola recommendation. Once, when I got lots of attitude trying to get into La Bruschetta down the street, we walked a little further to Campagnola and had a respectable meal. Some of the tables are a little close together but the food is good.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

have any of you been to campagnola in westwood? a small, intimate italian restaurant (the owner's from sardinia, but the food isn't). it is quite good and as far as i know has never made it into the zagat. on westwood south of wilshire.

I concur on your Campagnola recommendation. Once, when I got lots of attitude trying to get into La Bruschetta down the street, we walked a little further to Campagnola and had a respectable meal. Some of the tables are a little close together but the food is good.

Can't believe I've never been. It's so close to home and I drive by it a million times. We're often looking for a place at the last minute to run to on the weekends for lunch or dinner. Ideally something good but casual, reasonably priced and with no 'tude. Can you provide some more details about Campagnola's.

Haven't been in a while but we also like "Little Taste of Hoboken" which is also on Westwood between Olympic and Pico. It's next door to and owned by Matteo's and is their more family-oriented place. Good take out too.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Can't believe I've never been.  It's so close to home and I drive by it a million times.  We're often looking for a place at the last minute to run to on the weekends for lunch or dinner.  Ideally something good but casual, reasonably priced and with no 'tude.  Can you provide some more details about Campagnola's.

while a lot of people have never been to campagnola it is nonetheless almost always full (and yes, a little cramped). it is the kind of place that people tell their close friends about but don't make too much noise about for fear that it will get too busy. but the owner (mario, i think) and the head waiter (if he's still there) are such great guys i don't think they'd ever get too much 'tude.

they don't have a huge menu but they do feature many unusual (for l.a) dishes. my favorite was always their penne with sliced lamb and peas. their fish specials were always good and their antipasto is pretty good too. they have a small outside patio which is a very nice space to reserve if you ever have a group of 8-10 people for an event. you get it all to yourself.

on a separate note, i've seen lots of minor celebrities there over the years, enjoying meals in relative anonymity.

edited to add: it is very reasonably priced. two people can eat a very nice meal with a glass of wine and not crack the $60 barrier.

Edited by mongo_jones (log)

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are new to Cali from the east coast and are also tired of people telling us to go to Morton's for steak, McCormick & Schmick's for seafood, Macaroni Grill for Italian, etc.

We found our neighborhood place. It's called Rosine's Cafe in Anaheim Hills (out in Orange County) and it's superb. Great middle eastern food, probably the best baba ganouj I've had in a long long time. INCREDIBLE wine list too. We eat there 3-4/month and I'd hate to announce this place to the world but it seems that the secret has already gotten out. If you go at 7:00, it'll be a bit of wait...