• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crystal Whiskey Decanter

unreserved

Hello,

I have my parents old (but beautiful) whiskey decanter set and although I am aware of the dangers of leaving whiskey inside the decanters due to the lead factor, I was wondering if it is still dangerous if I decant on the same day I intend to serve the whiskey to my guests.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Anthony - aka "unreserved"

"Never eat at a place called 'Moms', but if the only other place in town has a sign that says 'Eats', go back to Moms."

W. C. Fields

Here is a snippet I found googling:

Lead Information Package -- Some Commonly Asked Questions About Lead and Human Health from our friends to the north

Leaded crystal is widely used for serving beverages. When the crystal comes in contact with beverages, especially acidic beverages such as port, wine, fruit juices and soft drinks, some lead dissolves into the liquid. The amount of lead that dissolves depends on the lead content of the crystal, the type of beverage and the length of time they are in contact with each other. Over the course of a meal, the amount of lead dissolved is very small (well below 200 parts per billion), but beverages stored in crystal decanters can accumulate very high levels of lead. Scientists have found lead concentrations of up to 20 parts per million (ppm) in wines kept for weeks in crystal containers. Under the Food and Drugs Act, the maximum allowable lead concentration in Canadian beverages is 200 parts per billion.

To avoid exposure to high lead levels, do not store any beverage in crystal decanters for extended periods of time. Decanters should only be used for serving. Some of the surface lead can be removed from new crystal by soaking it in vinegar for 24 hours and thoroughly rinsing it. Do not wash crystal in the dishwasher as harsh detergents can increase the release of lead. Do not serve pregnant women or children drinks in crystal glasses.

Now the question is what is the acidity of whisk(e)y? It most likely isn't as high as a wine, right?

At any rate, same day use shouldn't be a problem. Do the 24 hour vinegar soak too.

:cool:

Thank you beans.

I did try a google search, but did not find anything helpful. I am obviously not as adept as you are at googling. The vinegar soak seems the way to go. :biggrin: Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Anthony - aka "unreserved"

"Never eat at a place called 'Moms', but if the only other place in town has a sign that says 'Eats', go back to Moms."

W. C. Fields