• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Restaurants Too Noisy for Conversation?

Richard Kilgore

I dislike restauarants that make conversation dificult due to the noise level -- bare walls, hard floors, loud music. :angry: Conversation with friends is an essential part of dining for me. But someone must like the noise, it seems so common. I recall a Daddy Jack's seafood restaurant in Dallas that was so noisy that a table of six could not have a conversation around the table. It was an effort just to talk to the person next to you. Very good food, but that was my last trip there.

What Texas restaurants get thumbs down from you due to their noise level? Or do you like it?

Lupe Tortilla in Houston gets my thumbs WAY down for noise level (and long wait time, and mediocre or even rude service). Sure the fajitas are very good, but not good enough for me to tolerate all the above mentioned pitfalls. Still one would be lucky to be seated in less than 40 minutes-- it's usually packed . :wacko:

Elie

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Noise is one of my consistent rants.

Papasittos - the decibel level is way above OSHA standards. Sure, they have great fajitas. But I will NOT go there unless shanghaied by a visiting business group. You have to literally scream to be heard and then here come the damned mariachis. :angry:

Joe's Crab Shack - I have only been once. I will not endure that kind of noise level and eat mediochre food at the same time. Out of control kids running around doesn't help either. Oh well... It is a Fertitta venue.

Ruggles - The original, really uncomfortable rooms and really loud. Too bad. The food is really pretty good. When they opened the Ruggles on Main Street (I THINK it is closed now) we tried twice to have a business dinner there. On one trip there were exactly two tables taken (we were early) and the music was so loud the waiter was shouting. We requested that they turn it down. The waiter came back and said "sorry". Then the table next to us took up the rant. Only when both tables threatened to leave did they turn it down, a little. When the same thing happened the second time, I put them on my company's business dining informal black list.

What is WITH these people? I am so glad that Alison Cook has started including noise level in her reviews.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Every location of Mi Cocina I've been to has been unbearably noisy.

It was the '80s that killed us--particularly the success of the "warehouse" design style (polished concrete floors, brick walls, no acoustical tiles, etc.). Finishing out a restaurant in that style was much less expensive. So restauranteurs happily jumped on board the popular trend. Economics also explain, in part, why it has lasted. But there's another component, as well. No restauranteur wants his establishment to feel dead. He wants energy, vigor, crackle. The idea is that such an environment is more appealling to the targetted demographic. The room's acoustic properties help to create a feeling that the place is really jumping, even if it's not full. I'm not sure, but I imagine there are industry studies available to support that kind of theory.

Scott

You are probably right about that, Scott. But... There are rooms with a good amount of buzz and then there are places that will damage your hearing. And I am not kidding about the hearing damage thing. I have done enough walking around big machinery with a meter to see how you have to mark of the area that requires hearing protection. I am not saying that every restaurant should be elegant and very quiet, as in a temple of food. When it gets to the point that you can't even have a conversation, the concept has run amuk. The complaints in the diner's Whine & Dine column are getting more frequent. In fact, that is why the restaurant critic decided to add noise level. I can't remember which restaurant it was but she really rapped a place a few months ago for the noise. As I recall, it came out that the food was really good and interesting, even memorable, but she wasn't going to go back because of the noise level.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I am aware they think it makes a restaurant lively when it isn't. Perhaps they also believe it will turn tables faster if people can't talk to each other. I have a hard time believing that people in any demographic think sitting in a restaurant and staring around because you can't talk is a great deal.

Every city should have noise level ratings in their restaurant reviews. Then at least people in the demographic that doesn't want to have a conversation with their friends can at least to know whether or not to bring hearing protection. Actual decibel levels would be great!

AUSTIN

We don't like it loud. We often choose the outside deck at a restaurant for more pleasurable dining. (In all honesty, I should should preface this by saying, I'm deaf. But I have a cochlear implant, so I can hear, and very loud noise can be excrutiatingly painful.) These comments are based on my pain level as well as other diners' reactions to the noise. On my 0-10 ear-reichter scale . . .

PF CHANGS on Jollyville is unbearable. Looks can be deceiving. Unusual exterior, classy interior, the life size reproductions of the emperor's clay burial furniture soldiers and horses is a nice touch. But the dining room is one big open space and the music they played when we were there was techno at such a level that the waiter could not hear us, we could not hear each other, and the diners were all yelling to each other attempting conversation. We had to resort to sign language and pointing at menus to order. It was a wall of sound. We had reservations and still had to wait 30 minutes for our table. The food was OK, our waiter was valiant, but not worth the experience. Dessert was the best thing about it, Wall of Chocolate, which we took home with us. (level 9)

(A positive comment here: Just down the way is the TOKYO RESTAURANT, if you are in the mood for Japanese. Quiet, can be a bit bright, but you can see the sushi you're eating. :wink: Good food, whether you sit on the floor or in a chair, lovely service. It is in a little strip center; we didn't know what to expect but were pleasantly surprised.) (level 2)

TEXAS LAND AND CATTLE on I35 close to 290E. What can I say. . . we moved outside to the deck so the four of us could talk even though we were cold. The steaks were well prepared for eating out, never as good as the ones off the grill at home, but it was a good meal, and out of town friends wanted to go there. We haven't been back.

(level 8)

HULA HUT. But then it's just more that kind of place in the evenings. (level 8)Afternoons are not too bad for a noisy place; you can talk, and you can get away from the noise with a snack and the sunset, the view is very nice. (level 4-5)

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite