• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Radio

woodburner

"I wish I was in Tijuana eating bar-b-qued iguana"

--Wall of Voodoo, Mexican Radio, 1990

=R=

One of the best videos ever shown on MTV, especially the part where the singer's head comes out of the pot of beans.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

=R=

One of the best videos ever shown on MTV, especially the part where the singer's head comes out of the pot of beans.

Damned straight! How else would I have remembered it 13 years after the fact? :biggrin:

I believe the front man's name is Stanard Ridgeway.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

"Just drive, she said!"

Hasn't anyone eaten there?

Mexican Radio, at its original location, was our tiny little place for my Robin and me. We always liked the food, but we were usually bombed on a couple of "short waves" (this is one of their margaritas) before we got a table.

They've since moved, but their food hasn't changed. Their thing isn't authentic regional cuisine, and it's not really haute either. It's comfort-food Mexican with a bit of flash. Their mole is very dark and rich. They have a nice, spicy sauteed chorizo appetizer. We've always liked their guac. The mains are pretty heavy and cheesy. Mostly we've had a good time there.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

ok-

am going up to do the xmas thing in poughkeepsie and want to visit a friend in catskill. will try to get here tuesday. i hear they really hav cleaned warren street up since the time i was up there(1980-1982) since i really like good mexican can't wait

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

ok-

am going up to do the xmas thing in poughkeepsie and want to visit a friend in catskill. will try to get here tuesday. i hear they really hav cleaned warren street up since the time i was up there(1980-1982) since i really like good mexican can't wait

Yeah, Warren Street has made a huge transition, antique shops and a few eateries. A co-worker has been to the Hudson location which is only about 20 minutes south of me. She liked it very much, but she also adores burnt hot dogs. She mentioned the Margs run up in the $10 range, which raised my brow a bit. I'll also try and get down next weekend some time, with my daughter who will be visiting and really enjoys Mexican cusine.

My wifes grandparents ran an Italian -American place called "Bucci's" located at 517 Warren in the 30's.

woodburner

=R=

Only fitting, the way I see it. The proprieter was once the owner of Revlover Records in LA

:smile:

woodburner

totally off-topic, but it's been on my mind since reading this...

a verbana song, "way out west", from their latest album, gives a healthy nod to Wall of Voodoo (as well as some other notables), with the lines:

"i'm letting the good times roll

i'm down in the rabbit hole

i've got a mexican radio

me and my rubber soul

it's just my 19th nervous breakdown"

carry on. :unsure:

Edited by tommy (log)

• 1 month later...

=R=

Only fitting, the way I see it. The proprieter was once the owner of Revlover Records in LA

:smile:

woodburner

a verbana song, "way out west", from their latest album, gives a healthy nod to Wall of Voodoo (as well as some other notables), with the lines:

i've got a mexican radio

me and my rubber soul

I've made reservations for dinner, end of February.

Will report with a full review.

woodburner

• 4 weeks later...

had lunch here today with my friend and her husband(he has cooked at cafe tamayo, the bear, etc. but is out of the business now). no reservations. got there at about 1215 - good luck finding a place to park.

there are tables on two levels - probably will seat about 36 upper level, 24 on the lower. the lower level has the bar,. very bright and cheery with various votives around and jazzy, bluesy music playing. we were presented with a drink menu, specials menu and regular menu. they have mexican beers by the bottle as well as on tap, sangria, special drinks(the margaritas included that range from 9-12) and flights of tequila.

the special menu had soup, three or four appetizers, three or four entrees. the main menu has about 10 starters, several salads, platos and platos gigantes. prices range from 4 for chips and salsa to 11 fro chile rellenos and several of the starters are also available during m-f lunch as entrees. platas run from buritos and huervos rancheros to flautas, enchiladas plantain rellenos and carnitas. most prices are in the 14-15 range. sides are available and their hot sauces are also for sale. there were six different bottles open on our table.

i ordered a dos xx on tap, she had water and switched to club soda, he had a sprite. the water i fear may be city water because it smelled and tasted faintly of chlorine. she ordered the butternut and roasted red pepper soup that was beautifully presented with a heart pattern of mole and creme fraiche on it. i thought the seasoning was perfect though my hosts thought it was undersalted. they applied the shaker liberally - i was right. she ordered the tacos, he ordered the special rellenos which were stuffed with cubed butternut squash, mushrooms, rice and cranberries in a poblano and i got the triple enchilada mole with a small napalitos salad rather than beans and rice. she felt the beef left a greasy aftertaste but three tacos arrived stuffed with meat, queso fresco and lettuce with sides of guacamole, sour cream and jalapenos - which i promptly stole. his chile rellenos were two good sized poblanos liberally stuffed and served with a side of rice and black beans. my enchiladas were chicken and came with the house(chocolate/fruity), raspberry chipotle and spicy verde moles. they were perfect. the salad was grilled cactus tossed with apples, jicama, carrots, pepitos, and queso anjeo served over mixed greens with a tequila vinaigrette.

when i go back i want to try the mexican spring rolls, chorizo and the carnitas.

total was 63 with tip

enjoy it woodburner :smile:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Radio radio...

What does he say ?

Suzi,

Thanks for the great report. I really wish we all could have hooked up and had dinner, but there will be other times. It's my understanding a new Italian place also recently opened in the city of Hudson, and it's getting grand reviews. The name is not clear to me yet, but I will find it, and post the information.

woodburner

• 2 weeks later...
Two day's to go.

If someone would like a special picture taken, speak now.

Turning fifty, on Saturday, Dinner at Mexican Radio.

It goes quick.

woodburner

yeah-

pose with the band :blink:

happy birthday, woodburner :raz:

can't wait to hear what your experiences are.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

i've got a mexican radio

me and my rubber soul

"Longarm" and "I Can't Make Love" were both better than "Mexican Radio", but came out before MTV, so had no cool video to propel them into the mainstream. Also, WoV's version of Cash's "Ring of Fire" was interesting.

To sum up, I think if Stan Ridgeway were to eat at "Mexican Radio", he would give it a fair chance despite his distancing himself from the WoV years.

--

ID

--

Two day's to go.

If someone would like a special picture taken, speak now.

Turning fifty, on Saturday, Dinner at Mexican Radio.

It goes quick.

woodburner

yeah-

pose with the band :blink:

happy birthday, woodburner :raz:

can't wait to hear what your experiences are.

Fifty came and went, well not went, but the day is now passed.

Daddy always said,

"woodburner, enjoy everyday here on earth, because when the box door shuts for the last time, you'll have many days to look back, but none to look ahead." So to those words I followed on "my day" and never made to the Radio, but it still beckoned.

i3865.jpg

It was a wonderful evening at Mexican Radio, last night.

Entering with my first step through the church style doors, it aired suddenly solemn, seeing the glow of almost one-hundred candelabra's gently shimmering thier light against the peach colored walls. The second step revived me, upon hearing one of my favorite jazz tunes, Spanish Fantasy, by Chick Corea .

Ambience most certainly is reflective of a celebatory decor, with the inclusion of wide plank flooring, and ceiling chandeliers, both from a church of past.

Service, from the minute of entry, showed polish. We were offered a table near the bar area, to which we agreed. We then started with two ice cold, draft dos xxx's, and starteded to peruse the menu's.

(Luckily for me, I'm not within walking distance to this place given the size of the Margs, and depth of venue concerning the Tequila's. When I can locate a good DD, I'm going back for a drinking contest.) :laugh:

Fresh Salsa, and Gauc were quickly ordered, and effectively served with tri colored chips, and since we came home with a half quart of salsa (which our waiter very nicely packed up for us, fresh from the kitchen) take my word, it was terrific.

Carnita's for me, served along with pintos' and rice, and corn taurpalins. Heavenly.

and mucho servings.

My wife wrestled with enchilada mole trio, and she agree's with suzilighting, "perfect".

The water needs to be addressed, and I'll be calling the Radio regarding that only one slight downfall of the evening.

We will be going back and back and back....

i3866.jpg

Ellas danzan con los desaparecidos

Ellas danzan con los muertos

Ellas danzan con amores invisibles

sting, They Dance Alone

Dinner for two, with tax and tip, eighty bucks

woodburner

Edited by woodburner (log)

so glad you enjoyed it.... i really wanted to try the carnitas but those enchiladas with mole are calling to me....and i really want to try the chile rellenos

john is on medication and can't drink :shock: . maybe he can be the dd and we can try the flights of tequila :hmmm::hmmm:

let us know what they say about the horrid water

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites