• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYE in NYC

Dave the Cook

All the Daves (plus Mrs. Dave's sister's family) will be in New York from December 30 through January 4.

We'll be doing all the touristy things -- that's Mrs. Dave's prerogative. Mine of course is food. For instance, while we're freezing our thin-blooded Southern butts off on the Staten Island ferry, I want to be able to look forward to a good nosh afterwards. Or after someone loses their breakfast at the top of the Empire State building, I need know the closest place to refill the tummy.

There will be five Daves and four others. Consequently, cheap eats might get preference, though we don't mind paying for good food.

So: can we put together a series of mini-tours that include a famous landmark, museum or tourist trap, along with a convenient place to chow down in eGullet style? Transportation tips wouldn't be amiss, either, as long as you're at it.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

NEAT!!!! Where youse guys staying? And how much are people willing to walk?

My first thought is if you hit the Metropolitan Museum, as you MUST, have a pick-me-up of coffee and cake mit schlag at Cafe Sabarsky (in the Neue Galerie at Fifth Avenue and 86th Street). They have real food, too, and are open from 9am to 9pm.

More suggestions to come.

If you head over to the West Side, after visiting the Museum of Natural History, you can check out Zabars (B'way btw 80th and 81st) for hand-sliced lox, so thin you can read the NY Times through it, and other goodies. Stop in at H&H (B'way and 80th) for what many think to be the best bagels in NY.

(C & B trains stop under museum at 81st and Central Park West or take the 1/9 to B'way and 79th and walk)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I suggest Beyoglu for inexpensive, high-quality Turkish, if you don't mind walking to 81st and 3rd after the museum. They have a room upstairs that would accommodate lots of Daves.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

NEAT!!!! Where youse guys staying? And how much are people willing to walk?

We managed to snag accomodations near Lincoln Center. Walking is no problem, and we're not averse to subways (speaking of which, can anyone recommend a primer on the transit system? Mass transit in Atlanta is 250,000 people in 249,116 cars.)

Schlag. Hand-sliced lox and real bagels. Cheap Turks. sigh.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Ah, well in that case you've got to try to see something at LC. Or if that's just too much culture, at least have a look at the plaza and its decorations. You can remind the other Daves that a scene in Ghostbusters was filmed there, by the fountain.

And speaking of Ghostbusters: the building (the Custom House) they used as the facade of the "Museum of Art" is now the National Museum of the American Indian. One of my favorite places to see neat stuff and contemplate. And it's at the northern edge of Battery Park, so you can stop in before or after you freeze your tuchis on the SI Ferry. Also not far from Stone Street, which I believe has quite a few good restaurants (I've not been, so others can make recommendations). Unfortunately, Bayard's is only open for dinner.

Ah, well in that case you've got to try to see something at LC. Or if that's just too much culture, at least have a look at the plaza and its decorations. You can remind the other Daves that a scene in Ghostbusters was filmed there, by the fountain.

Is that the scene where Bill Murray does his little heel-toe dance while waiting for Sigourney Weaver ("You were the best one on your row!)? :biggrin:

I like the idea of NMAI/Stone Street food in conjunction with the ferry. It's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

I'm trying to grasp the scale here. For instance, how far is it from Lincoln Center to the Museum of Natural History? Is that considered walking distance?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

NEAT!!!!  Where youse guys staying? And how much are people willing to walk?

We managed to snag accomodations near Lincoln Center. Walking is no problem, and we're not averse to subways (speaking of which, can anyone recommend a primer on the transit system? Mass transit in Atlanta is 250,000 people in 249,116 cars.)

Schlag. Hand-sliced lox and real bagels. Cheap Turks. sigh.

You're in my hood, bud! Where you staying?

Skip H&H, and get your bagels at Zabar's too. Better bagels these days. H&H are fat and fluffy. Blech. But Zabar's has no salt. :sad:

Lincoln Center is about 3/4 mile from the museum. And you can pass the building where all hell breaks loose in GB.

Ah, well in that case you've got to try to see something at LC. Or if that's just too much culture, at least have a look at the plaza and its decorations.

The tree at Lincoln Center is my favorite in the city. Definitely check it out.

Lincoln Center events: If you have kids in tow, maybe see if you can still get your hands on tickets to NYC Ballet's Nutcracker (try to get them before you come). For grown-ups, Henry IV is fantastic. I'm not sure if tickets are still available. Big Apple Circus will be in residence until after the New Year. It's a fun one-ring circus under a big top.

As for distances - 20 city blocks (north-south) make up a mile.

This is a good resource for events going on.

Here is a link to a subway map.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Good Cheap Italian near the SI Ferry Rosario's.

I work in the area so fee free to ask any questions.

Msk

When I worked downtown, I ate at that place 3 times a week.

I've been looking at maps. Y'all know there really isn't any upper west or lower east to Manhattan, don't you? By my compass, the former is in the Hudson River and latter is in Brooklyn.

By most accounts, the Upper East Side is East 60s to East 90s, Upper West Side is West 60s to West 90s. Central Park divides between East and West.

I'm sure someone will rap my knuckles for not telling you to venture above the east/west 90s.

I'm sure someone will rap my knuckles for not telling you to venture above the east/west 90s.

That'll be me! :laugh:

It's fine to go as far as Columbia Univ. (120th street is northern boundary) on the west side.

The Cathedral of St. John the Devine on Amsterdam and 112th is magnificent. It's one of the largest cathedrals in the world - they've been working on it for 100 plus years, and aren't done yet. They have holiday concerts and it's a really nice place to visit. It's my understanding that there some decent small restaurants to eat at. For a snack, there's Silver Moon Bakery on 105th and B'way (I'm not exactly sure of the cross street) has some nice baked goods.

If you travel that far north, you can also check out Grant's Tomb in Riverside Park.

I love St. John the Divine's, I even slept in it one night,... but that's a different thread for a different day...

If you have a young girl with you who is wild about American Girl dolls, I recommend a stop at American Girl Place, which is right next door to Saks and near St. Patrick's cathedral.... All of which is behind Rockefeller Plaza, a must see...for cheap eats take the escalator down down to the "basement" of Rockefeller Plaza, there is a food court there.

This is great stuff. Thanks, everybody, and especially 'trix for the links.

Now for what might be a naive question. We'll have a kitchen. I expect we'll be eating most meals out, but breakfast and possibly late-night snackage will probably be in, for the most part. Where can I get groceries?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Rap, rap, rap. Then they'd miss the Museo del Barrio and the Museum of the City of New York (Fifth Ave. and 102-103 Streets), and the Conservatory Garden (well, maybe this time of year, that's okay to miss).

And The Cloisters! How can they not go to The Cloisters?!?!?!? And as long as they're that far up, they can check out the burgers at Piper's Kilt and be honorary BC members (is that okay, elyse?).

And The Cloisters! How can they not go to The Cloisters?!?!?!?

Is that the branch of the Metropolitan that has the Medieval stuff? ooh.

Yes, it is. They've got amazing tapestries.

Personally, I think the ideal time to visit is in the spring so you can walk the grounds. But, I have a feeling they do up the building for the holidays.

BTW, there's a Food Emporium on Broadway and 68th st. Not quite as impressive (or inexpensive) as Fairway, but it's closer to LC.