• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culantro

Susan in FL

Cilantro was on the shopping list I gave my husband yesterday and he came back from Publix with Culantro. Neither of us realized it was something different until we took a closer look. Like it said on the bag, the aroma was similar to cilantro. The taste was similar, as well, but more pungent. Reportedly it is used frequently in Latin American, Caribbean, etc. cooking. Have any of you used it and do you choose it in favor of cilantro for anything in particular?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 2 weeks later...

Susan,

As with any ingredient, humans are going to use what is readily available to them in their indigenous areas. With transportation and growing interest in ingredients we did not grow up with, what is "unusual" is becoming available to a wider consumer base.

We use culantro if we have it and we feel like using it in any place where we'd normally use cilantro. We'll also substitute Vietnamese cilantro as well. Depends on what is growing where and how we feel at the time...

More information on culantro

:rolleyes:

We'll also substitute Vietnamese cilantro as well. Depends on what is growing where and how we feel at the time...

What is the difference between Vietnamese cilantro and "regular" cilantro?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Vietnamese Cilantro (Polygonum odoratum) is actually in the mint family but it is not as agressive as most mints for gardeners in that it does not overwinter outside. The appearance is entierely different than that of regular cilantro also.

I like to grow Vietnamese Cilantro because it will continually grow as long as the weather is warm. Regular Cilantro, even under the best growing conditions, is short lived simply because it's a trait of the growing cycle of the plant.

As with many herbs, there are often other plants which are very similar in aroma and flavor. The differences are subtle and usually not too noticeable by those who have not been exposed to a repertoire of different choices. But to those who have been raised with a specific cultivar, substitutes will never be the same.

For photos, look here: Polygonum odoratum

Lots of information here.

As with any ingredient, humans are going to use what is readily available to them in their indigenous areas. With transportation and growing interest in ingredients we did not grow up with, what is "unusual" is becoming available to a wider consumer base.

Absolutely.

It's good to have a forum to hear personal comments about "unusual" ingredients, as well as the links... thanks.

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty inexperienced with eGullet, so I don't know if anyone ever sees a message in reply to a 2-year-old thread!! I did a search today on culantro and it led me to this old thread. A Puerto Rican friend's mother was trying to teach me how to make sofrito (to add to the beans), and told me I needed cilantro *and* culantro. Her English isn't great, so I kept thinking I was misunderstanding her until I found this thread! Many thanks to you two who provided those helpful links.

I grow, sell and use it. It's great for hot areas that can't grow cilantro but I've found you don't cook with it as it loses everything.

I think cilantro loses everything when cooked, too. I made some black bean soup last night with tons of cilantro. The cilantro must go in right at the end. The fresh taste is what makes it so special -- cook it long, and it disappears, IMHO.

Although my wife's cream of cilantro soup.. it might be cooked, and it's fantastic.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

AnneW . . . I am glad you found this and bumped it back up. That is one of the great things about this medium, old discussions can get a new life.

We had some discussion about this herb in this fascinating topic on ceviche recently.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm pretty inexperienced with eGullet, so I don't know if anyone ever sees a message in reply to a 2-year-old thread!! I did a search today on culantro and it led me to this old thread. A Puerto Rican friend's mother was trying to teach me how to make sofrito (to add to the beans), and told me I needed cilantro *and* culantro. Her English isn't great, so I kept thinking I was misunderstanding her until I found this thread! Many thanks to you two who provided those helpful links.

I have an 83 year old Puerto Rican friend who makes sofrito for her beans, rice, etc and she says to use cilantro OR culantro (or both). I have tried every combination in sofrito and honestly can't detect a difference in the finished dish. My friend, though, is absolutely THRILLED when she finds culantro when we go shopping. She also uses culantro as a garnish, in salads, and soups. I'm very happy to have been able to try it and only wish I could try all the other great foods she ate in Puerto Rico in her childhood.

Hmmnn... by clicking the links and looking at the pictures, I realized culantro is the same as Vietnamese ngo gai or what's sold in English as sawtooth plant or sawleaf plant. It's one of the herbs that usually appears on the platter of raw vegetables brought out to garnish pho (rice noodle soup), along with regular or Thai basil, bean sprouts, cilantro, lemon wedges, and fresh green chiles. :smile:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Vietnamese Cilantro (Polygonum odoratum) is actually in the mint family but it is not as agressive as most mints for gardeners in that it does not overwinter outside. The appearance is entierely different than that of regular cilantro also.

Hi mudbug...

Just a little correction.

The Plant Family which contains Mint (Mentha spp.) is Lamiaceae and it includes Rosemary, Oregano, Marjoram, Sage and many others.

Vietnamese Cilantro, Polygonum odoratum, is in the Polygonaceae Family, which includes things like Buckwheat, Sorrel, Rhubarb, Dock, and Knotweed.

Culantro's Plant Latin is Eryngium foetidum, and it is in the plant family Apiaceae, which includes Parsley, Fennel, and Dill.

As far as Vietnamese Cilantro not being aggressive... Maybe where you are from. Here it can be just as aggressive as Mint.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I think cilantro loses everything when cooked, too....The fresh taste is what makes it so special -- cook it long, and it disappears, IMHO.

The roots and/or stems of Cilantro are often used in Thai curries and hold up much better to cooking than the leaves.

I grow it Cilantro in my garden and think the young fruit also taste neat. Sort of half way between Coriander and Cilantro. I chew on them sometimes when I am weeding.

Erik

PS. Yes, I mean fruit. Each little coriander capsule contains the seeds for two plants, so it is technically a fruit, not a seed.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

eje . . . I guess that means that we can actually grow it here.

I am wondering if culantro would be acceptable to us cilantro haters. I am one of them. I think we have come to the conclusion that it is a genetic thing. Cilantro tastes like nasty gray soap to me and my kids, bright geen and herby to my sister. I am wondering if I would find culantro an acceptable alternative.

You are right about the seed "pod" being a fruit. I am continually amazed at what I learn here. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

As an experiment, I planted coriander seeds out of a grocery store bottle.  They sprouted vigorously, and I had fresh cilantro.

Cool! That is good to know, thanks.

I am wondering if culantro would be acceptable to us cilantro haters. I am one of them. I think we have come to the conclusion that it is a genetic thing. Cilantro tastes like nasty gray soap to me and my kids, bright geen and herby to my sister. I am wondering if I would find culantro an acceptable alternative.

Linda, let me know what happens; my dad has the same problem.

And, may I use your mouth for a taste test? :raz: As mentioned above, the roots of cilantro taste different than the leaves. Have you ever tried them??

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 2 years later...

Thanks for bumping this back up.

The first time I'd ever heard of culantro was on the PBS series "Daisy Cooks!" hosted by Daisy Martinez. A lot of her recipes call for both cilantro and culantro. I could never find it in the grocery stores around here but did find it for a short time at a local farmer's market.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver