• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Isgro's Pastries

Mummer

I doubt there's a better simple treat than a ricotta cannoli.

For years, I'd stop at the local Termini branch for a box of them before heading to my cousins' NJ home for a holiday meal. The tradition is so established that the one generation younger boy said cannoli when I arrived at our Austin familiy reuinion last summer. A couple of years earlier, seeing some in a pasticceria in Italy, his sister said, "I thought cannoli came from Philadelphia!"

The Ardmore Termini's has closed, so I no longer can cite convenience for not going to Isgro's. This morning I was there. Due to the holiday, they weren't filling the cheese ones to order. Isgro's cannoli

I also picked up a mess of fancy pastries. Isgro's pastries

You'll have to wait for that review, but I've had the peach before. One of the best more complicated treats.

8 cannoli and 8 different pastries - $44.25

Swung by John's Roast Pork for their signature sammie on the way back to the office. Goooooooood! But that's another post. (Our friend Holly has pages for both places.)

Everybody have a great holiday!

Edited by Mummer (log)

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I may be breaching netiquette by talking about grammar but..

Cannoli is plural. Cannolo is singular.

Vorrei un cannolo siciliano per favore.

Dammi 20 cannoli.

Same thing with ravioli.

There are several kinds of cannoli. Ever hear of an eggplant cannolo?

One of my measures of a good cannolo is whether they fill it when you buy it. It's like pasta; it comes out of the pot and into your mouth without sitting for 5 minutes in some bowl.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

The eight pastries:

Isgro's pastries, again

Peche Alla Crema - Outstanding!

Cappuccino Coffee Cup - Outstanding, ours had a biscotti (biscotto?) rather than a pizzel (their spelling) as garnish.

Tiramisu - Outstanding - not shown on their site, a slice from a larger portion.

Ricotta Cheesecake Swan - Very good - also not shown, but Holly's page shows a flock of them. Good graham crust, too.

Chocolate Deco - Very good - chocolate and white cakes below the dome. Also an almond taste; my slice was to tiny to be certain that was from between the layers.

Creme Brulee - Very good - not the shown tart, but served in a foil ramekin.

Fruit Tart - I didn't try it, but none was left on anybody's dessert plate.

Strawberry Ricotta Cheesecake - ditto above, same base as the swan.

As for the cannoli, they didn't travel as wall as others I've bought the day before a holiday. While the filling was delicious, the shells had lost their crispness. Experience had me preferring Isgro's to suburban Termini's, as the former filled the cheese ones to order. Per my initial post, these were prefilled.

I passed Varallo's on my way to Snyder for my pork sammie. Thanks for the recommendation; I'll certainly give it a try.

My limited Latin backgound tells me that cannoli is plural, but that language would offer one cannolum. (Sounds like a floor covering to me.) I've never ordered two pizzae.

One of my measures of a good cannolo is whether they fill it when you buy it. It's like pasta; it comes out of the pot and into your mouth without sitting for 5 minutes in some bowl.

I was using the Sardinian dialect - "cannolis" :smile:

Isgros indeed fills their cannolis to order.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Pottito's has the best ricotta cannoli, if you ask me. I think they've changed the filling recently, though. It doesn't seem as thick. However, it is still rich and delicious. I'm pretty sure that they are not filled to order, though. I have heard of people purchasing the shells and the filling separately, then filling them as needed.

I don't like Varalli's because of the citron. I'm not sure I've ever had Isgro's. Do they put citron in the filling?

Dammi 20 cannoli.

Pshaw, rockhopper: I wouldn't order a "cannolo" at Isgro's any more than I'd order "due etti di prosciutto" at Di Bruno's. It's "half a pound of prozshoot", "two cannolis" and so on. When in South Philly, after all!

Here are a couple of addresses/phones:

Varallo Brothers

1639 S 10th Street - Philadelphia, PA

215-952-0367

Potito's Bakery

1614 W Ritner Street - Philadelphia, PA

215-334-2996

I'll have to check them out.

Dammi 20 cannoli.

Pshaw, rockhopper: I wouldn't order a "cannolo"

Actually since I never order only one the problem never comes up :)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!