• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Chocolate - All about it.

kthull

Oil based candy colors work fine to color white chocolate. However, I don't think you would be able to temper it anymore since you are adding a fat to it that is not cocoa butter.

I use powdered color to color my white chocolate.

You can find some here.

I'm going to make my first attempt at tempering chocolate this week. At what point in the process do you add powder to the white chocolate?

I add the powder while the chocolate is melting and adjust the color once the chocolate is completely melted. I find that it takes more heat than you think to melt the powders....if the chocolate is too cool when the color is added, then you add up with streaks.

I'm going to make my first attempt at tempering chocolate this week. At what point in the process do you add powder to the white chocolate?

I also add the powder to melted chocolate (or cocoa butter) before tempering.

I add the powder while the chocolate is melting and adjust the color once the chocolate is completely melted. I find that it takes more heat than you think to melt the powders....if the chocolate is too cool when the color is added, then you add up with streaks.

I'm not sure if the powders actually melt or just become suspended in the chocolate. What I do is put the powder and the chocolate (or cocoa butter) on the marble slab and use my offset spatula to grind the liquid with the powder, warming up as necessary with the heat gun to keep the mass melted. I find the longer you mix this way, the more the colour develops. Then I add this mixed colour back into whatever I'm trying to colour.

I'm not sure if the powders actually melt or just become suspended in the chocolate. What I do is put the powder and the chocolate (or cocoa butter) on the marble slab and use my offset spatula to grind the liquid with the powder, warming up as necessary with the heat gun to keep the mass melted. I find the longer you mix this way, the more the colour develops. Then I add this mixed colour back into whatever I'm trying to colour.

Yes, I do something similar. If you add the powder to a large amount of melted chocolate, the powder doesn't all break apart and blend in. What I do is mix the powder with the tiniest amount of white chocolate in a small bowl and mix it all together.....as I am stirring I also press down with the rubber spatula to "grind" it in as Kerry describes. Once that is all mixed and smooth, then I add it back in the to rest of the chocolate.