• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Source for Lard

I prefer my bureks raw, wrapped in phyllo.

It's a damn shame they're illegal in the US.

Maybe for you, my friend.

One other way that I like to eat bureks is to skin them when they're young, then slowly smoke them over pecan wood, never getting over 225 degrees F. It takes awhile, particularly because you don't gut them first, but when they're done -- OH MY GAWD!!!! Take foie gras times 7 billion. It's that good.

Plus, as we all know, burek is the only proven aphrodesiac for both men and women.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Who's making the burek???

Splain please.

A burek is a small furry creature similar to rabbit native to that area of Europe. They're hard to catch as they can reach speeds of 70 mph.

Isn't that a little fast? Faster than a Jaguar?

Or are you kidding me?

Who's making the burek???

Splain please.

A burek is a small furry creature similar to rabbit native to that area of Europe. They're hard to catch as they can reach speeds of 70 mph.

Isn't that a little fast? Faster than a Jaguar?

Or are you kidding me?

Actually, I think Al meant kph -- kilometers per hour. Nothing is that fast. But bureks are rascally little creatures.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

One other way that I like to eat bureks is to skin them when they're young, then slowly smoke them over pecan wood, never getting over 225 degrees F. It takes awhile, particularly because you don't gut them first, but when they're done -- OH MY GAWD!!!! Take foie gras times 7 billion. It's that good.

Plus, as we all know, burek is the only proven aphrodesiac for both men and women.

Not this woman, buddy.

Damn, I've never tried them like that. I only have had burek a couple of times back when I was in southern Hungary. It was a simple preparation-- pan fried, rubbed with paprika. But with the taste and texture I can see what you mean about the foie gras comparison.

Next time I'm in NC I'll let you know-- could you maybe get me a half dozen or so? How much would that cost?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Just bring me two more bottles of that '89 Margaux, and I'll see what I can get.

Seriously, Al, I'll see if I can get my supplier to get me a dozen bureks for next weekend. I can't say I've ever done them in a Mexican style, as that's our theme, but we'll think of something. Burek Mole????

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Not this woman, buddy.

You'd be surprised, Elyse. They're....LOL! they're pretty awesome, is all I can say. This being a family board and all.

OK, time to end the games. elyse, a burek is a Serbian/Slovak/Middle Eastern specialty. It's actually a type of pie, so your interest is well-placed. It's made with phyllo dough, cheese, meat or spinach (or any combination thereof). It's not all that dissimilar to spanikopita, which I'm sure you know.

Bureks are very, very tasty. I lived in Milwaukee for 3 years, and they had 4 Serbian restaurants at the time. We always ordered at least one burek.

That's the plain truth.

But what about the lard???!!!!!!???????

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

varmint, what did you do with the congealed fat on your tennis court?

Pressure washer. Although it stained the concrete pretty badly. I need to add some detergent to the water next time I wash off the court (likely some time in June).

It makes the tricky drop shot a lot more fun though, right?

varmint, what did you do with the congealed fat on your tennis court?

Pressure washer. Although it stained the concrete pretty badly. I need to add some detergent to the water next time I wash off the court (likely some time in June).

It makes the tricky drop shot a lot more fun though, right?

Fat on a tennis court (and I don't mean me swinging my racket) is never a good idea.

BTW, I gave Benjamin a nookie tonight and said it was from Mr. Dean from Chicago. :wink: Seriously. He laughed and said, "I liked him. He was goofy."

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Al Dente - Don't know about Washington - but here in north Florida - many grocery stores (especially Winn Dixie's) carry lard in 5 pound tubs. It is frequently not refrigerated - and is usually in the section where you find cooking oils. Robyn

I've seen the 5lb tubs o' lard at Food Lion - if there's not one near you I'd also try Shopper's since they tend to stock stuff in bulk and have a large ethnic section.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Fed-ex from Texas!

WHO'S BUYING LARD -- AND WHO ISN'T

An index of lard purchases by location, with 100 being the national per capita average. West Texas buys 12.5 times the national per capita average; Atlanta buys 44 percent of the national per capita average.

West Texas|1,254

Phoenix|489

San Antonio|471

Louisville|193

Nashville|153

Atlanta|44

New Orleans/Mobile|17

Detroit|14

New York|7

Source: ACNielsen market research

Burek and other stuff...

Thanks guys, I've found lard in a Korean place. (lard is necessary for properly spicing-up the poor pig before the roast).

Burek: could be a name for something else as well, but my wife is making it at least every other week - in Turkish it stands for a pastry meal, stuffed with ground beef or feta cheese (or sometimes both, but I don't like the mixture).

I can provide recipe/photos as well...