• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asparagus Etiquette

GG Mora

Here's another, probably apochryphal, story about Queen Victoria. While visiting some very poor people in Scotland, she was offered tea and began to sip it from the cup in a suitably majestic fashion. She then noticed that her hostess had poured the tea into the saucer to drink it. The good Queen promptly followed suit. This was a story told to me about making guests feel comfortable - don't point out their faults, rather adapt yourself to their ways for as long as they are your guests.

But I no longer slurp my tea from a saucer. :raz:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

One of my grandpas used to put his coffee in a saucer (he was German). I used to see a lot of the older farmers where we lived do that. I never thought about it.

It is a way to cool down a hot liquid and quite acceptable.