• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sloppy Joe

sherribabee

If your quest becomes an obsession and a drive (or perhaps a ride on the Reading RR) to Reading PA for a Sloppy Joe comes to seem reasonable there is a place called Schell's that is famous for it's Beef Bar-B-Q or Sloppy Joe's. Both as a sandwich unto itself and as a sweetish topping to a hot dog.

i207.jpg ........... i208.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If you quest becomes an obsession and a drive (or perhaps a ride on the Reading RR) to Reading PA for a Sloppy Joe comes to seem reasonable there is a place called Schell's that is famous for it's Beef Bar-B-Q or Sloppy Joe's. Both as a sandwich unto itself and as a sweetish topping to a hot dog.

Who knew? I'll be in Reading for Thanksgiving with the in-laws. I promise to try this in as many permutations as my post-turkey stomach can stomach, and report back.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool retro neon sign:

i1482.jpg

Here's a picture of our tray of food--total for 4 people was $17.78:

i1481.jpg

Here's a picture of the menu:

i1479.jpg

First off, I was momentarily confused when the menu listed no sloppy joes, only "BBQ sandwiches." Very deceptive, this--apparently that's what sloppy joes are called here. The locals set me right on this nomenclature. I have no idea what they call an actual BBQ sandwich.

I have to say that, while the sloppy joe itself was very tasty, there wasn't much to it. I opted for the plain meat-on-bun; both raw onions and relish were popular toppings. My sloppy joe was pretty small with a not-very-generous amount of "BBQ"; the seedless bun was about the size of a McDonalds regular hamburger. I like for there to be so much meat and sauce that you a) have to eat it with a fork, or at least, b) have to eat what falls out with a fork.

Sadly, there was no slop in this sloppy joe.

It was, however, mushy to perfection. There was practically no texture in either the bun or the meat, just as it should be.

In the future, I'd view this sloppy joe as a relatively expensive "Krystal burger." I'd get three or four of the buggers, maybe a hot dog with the sloppy joe meat as a topping, skip the fries, and get a drink and be very happy.

Holly, thanks for the heads-up on this place. Definitely glad I went!

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I like for there to be so much meat and sauce that you a) have to eat it with a fork, or at least, b) have to eat what falls out with a fork.

Sadly, there was no slop in this sloppy joe.

Maybe that's why they call it a BBQ sandwich -- without slop, it simply doesn't qualify as a Sloppy Joe.

Sherri A. Jackson