• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Richmond

poohg628

We're heading up to Vancouver for the best Chinese food again this December; however, instead of visiting our usuals: Sun Sui Wah, "Sun Tung Kee" Hotpot, Chan's Wanton, Mak's Noodle House, Gyu's Usuyaki etc., we want to try some new restaurants. Can you please help direct us to your favorite Chinese restaurants for hotpot, dim-sum(Shanghainese & Cantonese), HK-style wanton noodles & shark's fin soup? Thanks!

Ling, I once ate siew looooong bao (er, whatever!) or steamed pork dumplings for dim sum at a restaurant overlooking Aberdeen harbour in H.K. (no, NOT the floating restaurant!). They were a revelation, and I have never eaten anything from a steamer that was so fluffy, fragrant and delicious since then. The "bao" or bready exterior literally melted in my mouth, revealing the juicy, meaty interior. It was a transforming experience! :rolleyes:

Siew loong bao is one of my favorite dim sum dishes. :biggrin:

I believe So Che is quite famous for their siew loong bao because of the amount of 'juice' that's encased in the dumpling. The siew loong bao at the mediocre restaurants are much drier, with no warm gush of meaty juice when you bite into your dumpling.

We used to go to Chen's Wun Ton House on No. 3 Road for juicy xiu lung bao and pan-fried versions, but the owners have since sold their shop. Has anybody been to the new restaurant? How about "Ling Du" Restaurant on Kingsway? I've been there once long time ago. Are they still good? Can you please recommend any other restaurants for authentic soy bean and fried dough (dou jiang/you tiao) brunch? My family friends took me to a place called "Tao Yuan" or ____ Yuan?! I'm not sure I remembered the name right and I don't have the address info. I do remember that they have excellent plain baked puff pastry (shao bin) and those with date paste (zao ni). Thanks again for all your advice. Please keep them coming, especially more recommendations for hotpot, dimsum and shark's fin soup.

I prefer to eat hot pot at home. Some of those places in Richmond aren't very sanitary. I like dim sum at Sun Sui Wah best, although Shiang Garden is good too. I like the shark fin soup at this Chinese restaurant next to Ebei sushi on 41st and Granville. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but they are famous for their abalone too. Anyway, it is right next to the Ebei restaurant (I think it is called "Grand Honour"). Even though I don't think it's quite as well known as Kirin or Sun Sui Wah, I had the best Chinese banquet-style dinner there ever (and I've eaten quite a few of those! :biggrin: ) They also have an awesome peashoot (<--is this the correct term? I only know the vegetable name in Chinese, sorry!) and dried scallop dish. This restaurant is usually really packed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ling, is it Gar Lok Seafood Restaurant at 41St. and Granville that you're talking about for Shark's fin soup? I also heard that Grand Honour Restaurant has decent hotpot...is that true?

Others, thanks for all your input and help! I can't wait to head up there this weekend. Hopefully I'll find a few more good restaurants to share with you all. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ling, is it Gar Lok Seafood Restaurant at 41St. and Granville that you're talking about for Shark's fin soup? I also heard that Grand Honour Restaurant has decent hotpot...is that true?

Others, thanks for all your input and help! I can't wait to head up there this weekend. Hopefully I'll find a few more good restaurants to share with you all. Happy Thanksgiving!

I checked the name of the restaurant on 41st...it's Grand Honour. I love their Chinese banquet menu there (especially that pea shoot and shreded dried scallop dish I posted about). I haven't had hot pot at Grand Honour. I usually have hot pot at home since it's easy to do and the ingredients are much fresher. My parents buy the huge trays of super thin pre-sliced meats from this wholesale place. I got food poisoning from Landmark Hot Pot on Alexandra Rd. (in Richmond) before. Also peeked into their kitchen when I was on my way to the bathroom...that place is dirrrrrrrrty.

I haven't been to Gar Lok Seafood restaurant.

Edited by Ling (log)

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for a new Tuesday night chinese place. Somewhere cheap and easy, somewhere I can take my two small kids when we don't feel like cooking.

We'd gone to Hons for years, but two things happened, they've gone upscale (fair enough, thats a highly relative assesment, but the fact remains they now accept credit cards and occasionally have papertowel in the washrooms.) But someone here, or over at that other board said something to me to the effect that Hon's is pretty good, if you're a caucasian.

We've been going to a place called Vogue in that wierd brick mall at the corner of Cambie and Sexsmith for the last six months. It's quite good, but I'd still like to have another option. Any suggestions? I'm looking for somewhere that the dishes run 8-12 bucks, I can get out of there spending 30-35 for three dishes.

There's got to be some undiscoverd gem out there.

If you'd like to try something different (yet still very Chinese) I'd recommend the:

RAINBOW RESTAURANT

8095 Park Rd # 2

Richmond

It's a Chinese-Buddhist vegetarian restaurant, though try not to think of it in religious terms. Just go to enjoy the excellent Chinese food, an amazingly friendly staff, and an incredible value. It's hard to walk out of there spending more than $15 per person it seems.

You'll recognize many familiar dishes in the menu, including those normally made with meat or fish, but at Rainbow the meat's been replaced by vegetable substitutes. The "switch" is sometimes hard to believe, there's so little difference from the original.

I'm most definitely NOT a vegetarian, so I'm not mentioning this restaurant due to lack of exposure to more traditional Chinese establishments. I found my meal at the Rainbow to be tasty, cheap, and an introduction to an important stream of Chinese cooking all at once.

BTW, it's located in an anonymous strip mall just East of NO. 3 Rd., but don't let the location put you off.

I've eaten Buddhist food many times, and kinda like it. I find you do get to gluten overload point pretty quickly. When I was a kid my mom would make gluten steak for dinner periodicly, I have no idea why, but that cured me of ever wanting more than a sampling of gluten again.

I'm looking for somewhere with an everyday quality, nothing specialized.

Hi Keith,

This may not be what you are looking for, but my husband and I sometimes go to the Food Court in Yaohan Centre to fill our craving for casual Chinese food. In the evenings (after 6 pm), all the prices come down. Four items with rice and a cup of tea (or soup) for $4.50 - you can't beat that. Also, the variety is great! Check it out.

I wanted to avoid sounding like a broken record but Shellback started it so ,I love Yaohan, one place had deep fried smelt yum yum. Heads, eyes, bones and all delicious. Best place though Soeul Express. Bi Bim Bop is unbelievable in the little stone bowls.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I'm looking for a new Tuesday night chinese place. Somewhere cheap and easy, somewhere I can take my two small kids when we don't feel like cooking.

We'd gone to Hons for years, but two things happened, they've gone upscale (fair enough, thats a highly relative assesment, but the fact remains they now accept credit cards and occasionally have papertowel in the washrooms.) But someone here, or over at that other board said something to me to the effect that Hon's is pretty good, if you're a caucasian.

We've been going to a place called Vogue in that wierd brick mall at the corner of Cambie and Sexsmith for the last six months. It's quite good, but I'd still like to have another option. Any suggestions? I'm looking for somewhere that the dishes run 8-12 bucks, I can get out of there spending 30-35 for three dishes.

There's got to be some undiscoverd gem out there.

Our family goes to Deer Garden all the time. They have great food, especially the stir-fried long spicy beans! I also recommend the braised lamb hot pot that comes with the fermented tofu dipping sauce. I like the fried porkchops that are covered in this mayo sauce (the porkchops have a sweet glaze, just in case you're not into that.) Honestly there isn't much on their menu that we don't like. Prices are reasonable, but they do have some pricier options like live lobster, crab, and other seafood.

I haven't been there for lunch so I don't know if the menu is different. The restaurant is always packed whenever we go. Deer Garden is located in this complex on No. 3 Rd., that also has a Hon's, a Chinese supermarket, and Shiang Garden Restaurant. (Sorry, I don't know the name of the complex).

As jpyvr suggested, The Rainbow is also quite good. But their fried gluten platters are a rip-off since you can get a huge platter at T&T for a fraction of the price they charge at The Rainbow.

Liu's Taiwanese Restaurant next to Richmond Sushi is also dee-lish, but pretty much only for their fried chicken. That's what everyone in the restaurant seems to be ordering whenever we go. I haven't really tried anything other than their fried chicken...but it's super juicy, and the coating is very crisp. It comes covered with this sweet teriyaki-like sauce. So yummy!

If you're into Chinese bbq, the place for the BEST roast pork is underneath the Superstore on No. 3 Road. It's called BBQ 2000. There's usually a line-up but it's totally worth it. I can eat over a pound of it at one sitting. It's that good. :smile:

Thanks all, especially Ling.

Couple problems though. Regarding Deer Garden, I've looked at the menu while strolling to Hons, but if I'm changing venues, I'd also like to be rid of ever having to go into that parking lot again. That is the most evil place on earth, easy. If you wanted to off someone with high blood pressure, you could just tell them to meet you there for lunch sometime and they'd kick it while trying to park for sure.

BBQ 2000 is closed, or at least it was last week. We used to get alot of takeout sushi from FuKaRaKu Express next door, and I'd occasionally pop in and bolster my rice intake with a side of bbq pork on rice. We've stopped going to FuKaRaKu because the quality has deteriorated a long way from when they first opened. Anyway last week we went to get takeout sushi for the first time in six months from there and BBQ 2000 was closed up.

BBQ 2000 is closed, or at least it was last week. We used to get alot of takeout sushi from FuKaRaKu Express next door, and I'd occasionally pop in and bolster my rice intake with a side of bbq pork on rice. We've stopped going to FuKaRaKu because the quality has deteriorated a long way from when they first opened. Anyway last week we went to get takeout sushi for the first time in six months from there and BBQ 2000 was closed up.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOOooo!!!!!!! :sad:

There's still a location out in Coquitlum, I think.

Couple problems though. Regarding Deer Garden, I've looked at the menu while strolling to Hons, but if I'm changing venues, I'd also like to be rid of ever having to go into that parking lot again. That is the most evil place on earth, easy. If you wanted to off someone with high blood pressure, you could just tell them to meet you there for lunch sometime and they'd kick it while trying to park for sure.

:laugh: That is hilarious!! My uncle hates it there too. However, the sushi place there, Sushi World, has really good sushi. If you happen to accidentally venture there again, try the Tokyo roll--there's no rice in it, but it's basically california roll without the rice & seaweed (so crab & avocado), and wrapped in thin egg crepe instead. And there's also some salmon in it. Their BC roll is always on special, I think--buy 1 roll get 1 roll free ($2.95!). And their rolls aren't small, either.

What do you think of that guy who directs the traffic at the mall there?

If you like Vogue (which is Taiwanese food, by the way), you might want to try the place next door. I don't remember what it's called in English, but it's right next door--it looks kinda dark & brown. It's cheaper than Vogue and it's usually pretty packed.

There's a place called Vivacity on No. 3 Road & Cambie (? someone help me out here). I've never had dinner there, but I go there on Sundays for lunch sometimes with my family, and they have some pretty good dishes there. If you like dried oysters, you have to try the dried oyster & preserved egg (is that what it's called?) congee. I also love their curry beef brisket chow mein.

There's a place called Vivacity on No. 3 Road & Cambie (? someone help me out here). I've never had dinner there, but I go there on Sundays for lunch sometimes with my family, and they have some pretty good dishes there. If you like dried oysters, you have to try the dried oyster & preserved egg (is that what it's called?) congee. I also love their curry beef brisket chow mein.

Yes, Vivacity is in the complex on No. 3 and Cambie. It's kind of hidden in the corner, next to Pho. No. 1. The preserved egg and dried oyster congee is indeed delicious! I also like their clams in black bean sauce.

Vogue is Taiwanese?

No one tells the round eyed devils anything. How the hell am I supposed to know that? We just call it the Chinese Cactus Club in my house, mostly because of the abundance of good looking young (female) servers. All the restaurants in the complex that houses Vogue look good. We'll be sure to try the one next door soon.

I need a crib guide to chinese cuisines, a quick method of identification the type or region of cooking.

And the guy that works the lot at Hons must have been a real bastard in his past life, and is now paying for it in this one. That is one bad job. We always kinda thought he was a bit of a racist, because he was always scowling at the Chinese, then we noticed that he's pissed at everyone equally, and with good reason, there's alot of stupid shit going on in that parking lot.

First time I ever tried pho was at that Pho No. 1 at 3 and Cambie. Many years ago, my wife and I went with my parents. We were clueless. We didn't know that everyone gets their own bowl but rather thought it was family style. They were too polite to tell us that we were doing it all wrong and making a giant mess to boot. Live and learn I guess. My wife and I used to go there somewhat frequently when they had the big screen TV and would play movies while you ate. That was kinda fun, as long as you wee there for a subtitled film.

• 1 year later...

Hi I know this has most likely been asked OVER and OVER again....so if you can point me to a thread....i would appreciate it.

I am moving to a beach house in Pt. Roberts and that makes me about 20 minutes from Richmond. I have NO experience with the area and I LOVE good Asian food.

Can anyone point me to any places that i MUST try !

I love noodle dishes and I LOVE Vietnamese. HEY! Its ALL good !

And whats this i read about the Richmond Public market? where and what is it?

Any Vancouver suggestions would be fine too.

I'll be asking alot of questions in the next month or so as i source out good artisan bread and pastries.

Thanks for your help...i a dying for good Asian i have not had any REALLY good stuff in a LOOOONG time!