• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned Salmon

hjshorter

Jackal10 - Are you Canadian??  Your salmon, vinegar s&p is exactly what everybody had for sandwiches when company called.  We used to joke that everynight there must have been a ton of it consumed. 

The irony is that it is good for you - Omega-3's, calcium (gotta leave the bones in ) and no mayo etc.  I miss it and the tomato soup and butter tarts.

No, I'm British, but much the same applies.

Particularly good tinned salmon sandwiches, on thin brown bread, were served in the Tea Room of the old Cavendish Laboratories, the physics department of the University of Cambridge, and where I did my PhD, and where many discoveries were made, including that of Crick and Watson of the double helix structure of DNA.

The rumour was the sandwiches were provided under a trust fund established by Professor Bragg from his Nobel prize money, to provide sustenance for staff and students who had worked through lunch.

Tinned salmon is a british instituition - stuff the empire was built on and all that.

Rowley Leigh has a good piece on tinned fish Here

And yes, tinned salmon WAS a treat (Especially if you got red salmon, as opposed to pink)

There shouldn't be TOO many gunky bits though.

P.S

OT, but what did you do your Phd in Jackal10?

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Saw a wonderful documentary a year or so back about the wild pacific salmon and their return up the rivers to spawn and how they were caught and canned.

Given how expensive wild salmon usually is I thought it was wonderful you could get these magnificant fish canned, dirt cheap, really easily

Then I tried a can and, as Heather said, to be kinda crappy and full of bones. A shame really, but I guess there's nothing else they can do with all that salmon

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

And yes, tinned salmon WAS a treat (Especially if you got red salmon, as opposed to pink)

I was just thinking the same thing... pink salmon seems to be bland and mushy, red salmon seems to have more flavor.

I just bought bread last night specifically for the can of red salmon in the pantry - I've been craving salmon sandwiches.

My grandmother, great grandmother, mom and now me (all canadians of british descent) always served them the same way - with lemon juice, s&p on soft white bread.

My mom skipped the salmon cake process all together and just served it flaked in the sauce with the creamed peas. We ate that over toast.

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

P.S

OT, but what did you do your Phd in Jackal10?

Pattern recognition of bubble chamber tracks, but I never finshed writing it up...

Not just me that hates writing up then!

Surely there can be some process where tinned salmon can become a high quality product - they can do it with sardines, and tuna.

Or is there some intrinsic difference?

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Tinned tuna and sardines in olive oil goes back thousands of years.

I hink tinned salmon is about as old as Spam.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Surely there can be some process where tinned salmon can become a high quality product - they can do it with sardines, and tuna.

Or is there some intrinsic difference?

Choice of the variety of the salmon. Canned salmon, for sale to tourists in Alaska, most often are sockeye. At home canning (done by darn near everyone that fishes there) usually, too, is both plain and smoked sockeye. I've got both sitting in my cupboard, which I think I'll some have for lunch. :smile:

And thinking about lunch.... A local favourite is using canned salmon (fresh too) as a hearty topping in a huge baked potato with sour cream, cheese and chives.

My Mom bought canned salmon a few times when I was growing up. Once it had worms in it. She made a point of showing it to us. I was already alarmed by the mushy bones in the can so much that I've had a recurring nightmare that my teeth mush up like the bones in a can of salmon. I can't get past the worms and the nightmares. I always wondered who ate it! :smile: