• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend wines

Florida Jim

With a caramelized onion frittata, olive bread toast and a small green salad:

1995 Pavillon Blanc du Chateau Margaux:

Some sherry and stem scents along with ripe sauvignon fruit, a touch of pear and a hint of honey/

Light body but still pretty dense and viscous, nicely citric on the palate with flavors that echo the nose, almost crisp (certainly clean), intense, good balance/

Medium length, crisp finish.

An interesting wine but not fascinating; better with the food than without; and honestly, I’m glad it’s my last bottle.

Aside: Does it seem to you that dry, white Bordeaux is more vintage sensitive than most other wines? It does to me.

With lentil stew:

2000 Siduri, Pinot Noir Willamette Valley:

Bright and sweet red fruit and spice on the nose/

Medium body, sweet and ripe red fruit with some spice and mineral tones, good concentration and intensity, well balanced/

Medium length finish.

The right wine for a small toast to the newest member of the Lee clan and tasty with the dish.

1997 Glen Fiona, Syrah Bacchus Vnyd.:

A little gamy on the nose with solid syrah fruit and some smoky earth scents/

Medium body, more structured than the pinot and darker fruit dominate, no sign of wood, well concentrated and balanced/

Long, dusty, finish.

Became sweeter and more fruit driven with the food; a good match.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

With a caramelized onion frittata, olive bread toast and a small green salad:

1995 Pavillon Blanc du Chateau Margaux:

Some sherry and stem scents along with ripe sauvignon fruit, a touch of pear and a hint of honey/

Light body but still pretty dense and viscous, nicely citric on the palate with flavors that echo the nose, almost crisp (certainly clean), intense, good balance/

Medium length, crisp finish.

An interesting wine but not fascinating; better with the food than without; and honestly, I’m glad it’s my last bottle.

Aside: Does it seem to you that dry, white Bordeaux is more vintage sensitive than most other wines? It does to me.

No doubt the white Bordeaux ate trickier than the red.

A good year can keep forever. I have tasted wines from the 50's that were amazingly young. The rest might not travel, keep or develop well.

Interesting combinations as always.

Edited by Andre (log)

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.