• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fish tacos

alacarte

A California friend turned me on to fish tacos -- which are amazing when done well, and not worth the calories when done poorly.

I've found a couple of places that do great fish tacos -- B Bar in the village and Dos Caminos (park ave & 28th, I believe).

Is there anyplace else worth trying?

I may have to make a pilgrimage back to CA if I can't get my fix here.

Bonita in Williamsburg (Bedford @ South 3rd) makes excellent fish tacos. Just about everything is good there, actually. Also the Bright Food Shop in Chelsea has good ones, if memory serves.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Bonita in Williamsburg (Bedford @ South 3rd) makes excellent fish tacos. Just about everything is good there, actually.

Is that just near the pedestrian entry to the bridge? I run from Manhattan to Williamsburg and back regularly, and caught myself briefly considering it as a mid-run snack. Not a good idea on second thought :wink:

I'll try it soon. Thanks for the tip.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Bonita in Williamsburg (Bedford @ South 3rd) makes excellent fish tacos. Just about everything is good there, actually.

Is that just near the pedestrian entry to the bridge? I run from Manhattan to Williamsburg and back regularly, and caught myself briefly considering it as a mid-run snack. Not a good idea on second thought :wink:

I'll try it soon. Thanks for the tip.

It's about four blocks north of the pedestrian bridge i think, maybe less. Slightly off the fish taco topic, if you ever go to Bonita for brunch, have the pambazo. it's sort of the mexican equivilent of the monte cristo: chorizo, avacado, potatos, crumbly cheese and crema on a roll. The whole thing is dipped in mole and grilled. Awesome.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Just curious -- and if it's been discussed elsewhere,  please point me in the right direction -- but what truly makes up a great fish taco???

Thank you for the tips, this is giving me hope! :smile:

Varmint, I can only give you my opinion -- I bet there's a thread somewhere in the California boards, though. Of course it's all subjective.

I think the first thing that makes a fish taco superior is really good, fresh fish. I've had tacos with shredded fish and strips of whole fish (my preference), and both are suitable if the fish is good quality, fresh and firm. I think Mahi-Mahi is most often used, but other white fishes or even tuna steak can be used to pleasing effect.

All the rest is variable, but a good taco shell (read: not stale) is a priority. And toppings should be good quality too -- lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, maybe a spicy chipolte sauce, maybe innovative additions like jicama or mango. And no beans, unless they're on the side!

the green cactus chain out on long island has the best fish tacos that i've had in ny.. in a pinch zarella's, in grand central station, will barely satisfy a craving.. the nyc branch of maui taco doesn't do it for me.. komodo, over on A, has a decent asian-mexian fusion taco..

i prefer my fish tacos to be a battered, fried piece of fish, in a soft corn tortilla, with shredded cabbage, some sort of creamy sauce, a lime squeeed over them, and maybe a couple of tomatoes..

• 2 years later...