• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does Anyone Remember Luvans Fish Camp?

mrs-j

My uncle took me to this place about ten or fifteen years ago when I was a kid. It was in the middle of nowhere but was within driving distance of Myrtle Beach.

I loved the food there. Standard fried/broiled/grilled seafood. The hush puppies were amazing. This was the first place that I tried homemade (not from a food service supplier) Thousand Island dressing. It was fantastic.

I have tried locating the restaurant on my own, but can't. And can't ask my uncle anymore. :sad:

Anyone ever heard of it? I think this was the right name.

Thanks!

Varmint, thanks! That sounds like it - in fact using your name I found an address and everything. It's in Murrels Inlet - it's the same one. It's a shame to hear it's not what it used to be. :sad:

I love fish camp style food. By all means, people speak up if you've got any good ones!

I believe technically that they are in Garden City !

I have eaten at Luvans many times !

I agree that it is just not what it used to be, the last several times I have been the service was extremely slow.

However, they do have some of the best fried flounder I have ever had, but there are many other resturants in the Surfside/Garden City/Murrells' Inlet area to try instead !

Nance's for oyster roast- Murrels Inlet. Tyler's Cove for unreal stuffed Flounder- M.I. Shabby's in Pawley's Island for cheap fried fish and bar atmosphere. Litchfield Beach House in LB for more of a fish camp feel. Land's End or Lafayettes in Georgetown for catfish and hushpuppies (not even close to a hushpuppy)- just sweet cornbread with sweet whipped margarine- called Corn Dodgers for some reason. And on Ocean Hwy in Pawley's don't forget Mac's, Hardee's (yuck), KFC, and Ocean Drag (next to Food Lion- S Causeway) Actually it's a really low key Chinese place with the O and the N lights burned out of their signage, for about five years. Oh and i almost forgot...Just S of PI is Hog Heaven. Absolutely everything on their buffet is vinegar based.Yuck.

I like pickles etc. Just trying to be part of this newsgroup and stating my biased "on some issues" opinions on some topics. BTW i hate Trio. J/K :shock:

Don't worry, Thrak. Any fairly new user here who starts to display a backbone by making opinionated posts just has to go through standard indoctrination procedures. You've passed. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites