• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF Chronicle loves Bolla Valpolicella

Craig Camp

The A-Mano wine so highly praised in the Chronicle article is a wine with a substantial amount of residual sugar. This is not noted in the description of the wine. I find the sweetness to be a flaw in the wine, unless you're looking for something to pair with chocolate pasta, perhaps. No thanks!

The article appears to be written with the author having done a minimum of homework. Looks like more of a puff piece sponsored by a couple of wine importers/distributors than the work of someone looking to suggest really good value wines from Italy, given the SF Bay Area has a good number of small importers specializing in Italian wines.

The article appears to be written with the author having done a minimum of homework.  Looks like more of a puff piece sponsored by a couple of wine importers/distributors than the work of someone looking to suggest really good value wines from Italy, given the SF Bay Area has a good number of small importers specializing in Italian wines.

It's like a list of the highest-production italian reds available here. It's as if they only listed wine you can find at Safeway. In fact, the Chron seems to have been getting complaints from people who can't find their bargain wines.

The irony is, despite great importers and also very good wine shops, it is tough to find a good selection of Italian wine here (at least in Berkeley -- I'm too lazy to travel far). Though (this surprised me) a recent visitor from Campania was very impressed by the number, quality and price of the italian wine selection at our local supermarket. (All from big importers though).

I agree with Echezeaux that the A Mano is not particularly drinkable. The Bolla is surprisingly drinkable, though, even if it doesn't have much to do with why we like valpolicella.