• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyster Bars in NYC

tjaehnigen

It sort of depends on the experience you want, but I've found Aquagrill to be super-reliable, with a very good selection.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The following have also been suggested to me elsewhere. Any comments?

Pearl Oyster Bar. 18 Cornelia St. between West 4th and Bleeker sts. in the West Village.

Shaffer City Oyster Bar. 5 West 21st between 5th and 6th Avenues. (212)255-9827

Docks. 3rd Avenue and 40th street (212)986-8080, also Broadway between 89th and 90th streets.(212)724-5588

Redeye Grill. 7th Avenue and 56th street (212)541-9000.

iirc, redeye grill doesn't have a raw bar. you might want to double check that though.

Docks has a smallish raw bar, but nothing close to the selection of Aquagrill, Oyster Bar, or even Blue Water Grill. it's got a very midtowny corporate feel to me, and i'll often go for lunch, but rarely dinner.

Shaffer City was pretty good when I went there a few years ago. But I suspect it still is, because the owner is there all the time. And it's one of those lesser-known places that concentrates on doing a good job. Very nice no-nonsense feel to the place.