• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New taqueria @15th/South

Greg Salisbury

Drove by the place yesterday, Pico de Gallo. Looks ready to go except for they haven't taken down the paper over the front door. Anyone know anything about it? If only we could finally get a real taqueria that serves lengua on a regular basis. Sigh. Also, I passed a gelateria/panini place @16th/Passyunk after the Eagles game last week, and was wondering if anyone had tried it yet.

owner, Rx

Drove by the place yesterday, Pico de Gallo. Looks ready to go except for they haven't taken down the paper over the front door. Anyone know anything about it? If only we could finally get a real taqueria that serves lengua on a regular basis. Sigh. Also, I passed a gelateria/panini place @16th/Passyunk after the Eagles game last week, and was wondering if anyone had tried it yet.

I used to park my car down below South Street where the meters stopped right around there and passed this place daily on my walk northward to work. Glad to see it actuallly has a name at this point. It's been a long time coming. Seems to be of the "Veracruzana-La Lupe" mold of authentic Mexicano restaurants.

There's a new place opening at 15th & Walnut called "Q-Doba Grill". Anyone know anything about this? Is it a chain? Local? National? I'm totally jazzed to have other Mexican in my immediate sphere of take-out other than 12th Street Cantina in the food court at the Park Hyatt. Not that that's bad or anything, but some variety is always welcome :smile: .

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There's a new place opening at 15th & Walnut called "Q-Doba Grill".  Anyone know anything about this?  Is it a chain?  Local?  National?  I'm totally jazzed to have other Mexican in my immediate sphere of take-out other than 12th Street Cantina in the food court at the Park Hyatt.  Not that that's bad or anything, but some variety is always welcome :smile: .

as i recall, i do believe qdoba is a chain. haven't looked it up or anything though.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Seems to be of the "Veracruzana-La Lupe" mold of authentic Mexicano restaurants.

Really? That would be excellent. I had heard, and now I can't remember where, that it was basically a western outpost of El Rey Sol, the place down at 6th & South. I love their beef stew tacos, but it's not mexican-mexican like Veracruzana or La Lupe--they use flour tortillas for most things; they usually use monterey jack on everything instead of queso fresco, etc.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tacos

Qdoba is mostly burritos ala Chipotle.  You get a huge burrito with meat or veggies, black or pinto beans, cilantro rice, salsa, etc.  They also have nachos, tacos, etc.  We lived on that stuff in college.

about what i figured. and welcome!

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

yup, it's a national chain.  owned by jack in the box. 

Owned by Jack in the Box??? :blink: :blink: [disgusted tone] Ohhhhh....[/disgusted tone]

wonder if they're ever gonna stick one of them here.

And here it comes at 15th & Walnut.

I think I'll wait for Pico de Gallo at 15th & South to open instead. Suddenly I'm not so hepped up about Q-Doba anymore... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

wonder if they're ever gonna stick one of them here.

And here it comes at 15th & Walnut.

I think I'll wait for Pico de Gallo at 15th & South to open instead. Suddenly I'm not so hepped up about Q-Doba anymore... :biggrin:

oh, i meant i was wondering if any jack in the boxes were going to open here, since they were doing qdoba there.

is it really that bad? i think i remember stepping inside one briefly in vancouver, but don't really know much about them.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

is it really that bad?  i think i remember stepping inside one briefly in vancouver, but don't really know much about them.

JiB is pretty foul. Plus they had all those e. coli outbreaks a few years back. Plus they had those annoying ads with that annoying "Jack" character. I don't know which is worse.

I confess - I've tried Q-doba Grill and LIKED it! It's steps from my office and the guacamole is quite tasty. I'm addicted to guacamole (it's so good for you! All those healthy fats makes for a glowy complexion...) and theirs is delicious and not overpriced. A small container of it is about $1.79 I think. Can also be accompanied with a huge bag of chips for a little over two bucks. An economical snack. The help at Q-Doba is achingly helpful and friendly. The place is clean and neat and very "un-fast-food-like". They also have Chouloula hot sauce on the side, which is one of my favorites.

I also tried a grilled veggie taco salad. Very fresh ingredients and good salsa and shredded cheese on top. If you don't eat the deep fried bowl it's actually a pretty healthful lunch. Also reasonable priced at about $5.00.

I'm still awaiting Pico de Gallo's opening though. I suspect authentic will blow friendly fast food out of the water for me.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

have you read the mexican forums in the past few months?

tex-mex is authentic in that it originated from mexicans who moved to texas and, not being able to find their native ingredients, substituted what they could to make food that was as similar as possible to their original tastes.

and i believe they actually ate the food as well.

authentic to me with regards to food means whether or not the original people created and ate it.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Yeah I did read that thread, and it was one of the most interesting things I've read on here.

But that's why I put "authentic" in quotes--I don't really believe in the concept, and I was just trying to clarify something, I'm not sure what.

But anyway, personally I'm psyched for Pico de Gallo's opening. I hope they have the same beef stew tacos they do at El Rey Sol--and only two blocks from my house. Get a couplea tacos and meet me at bob & barbara's; we can wash them down with specials and feed the leftovers to Smokey.

Yeah I did read that thread, and it was one of the most interesting things I've read on here.

But that's why I put "authentic" in quotes--I don't really believe in the concept, and I was just trying to clarify something, I'm not sure what.

But anyway, personally I'm psyched for Pico de Gallo's opening.  I hope they have the same beef stew tacos they do at El Rey Sol--and only two blocks from my house.  Get a couplea tacos and meet me at bob & barbara's; we can wash them down with specials and feed the leftovers to Smokey.

yea, i thought that was a really good thread. when i have more time, wanna go back over it again.

have you been to that takeout vegetarian place next to B+B's?

heard good thing about that from someone somewhere, but not enough info.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

have you been to that takeout vegetarian place next to B+B's?

heard good thing about that from someone somewhere, but not enough info.

I've had the vegetarian meatball sandwich from them a couple of times. It was good--in fact the second time I had it was because I was craving it. Takes a good long time to get anything you order though. I fully admit also that I have a weakness for vegetarian food that imitates carnivore food--TVP and soy "cheese" "steaks", fake bacon, tofu meatballs... I don't know why, because I like the real things, too.

Had El Rey Sol build me a custom burrito a couple of days ago - chicken, mushrooms and black beans plus a bit of rice, lettuce, tomato and onion.

Not authentic, but damn good. I'm about four blocks away from their new location where I expect to be a regular. Hoping they'll be delivering.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Santa Fe Burrito Company (of Jefferson Hospital area fame) opened a location in Liberty Place a couple of months ago.

Definitely not cheap ($7.00 for a chicken mole burrito), but probably the top choice when I've got exactly 5 minutes to get lunch.