• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

silk screen help

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...&hl=silk+screen

Are you screening a design on something people will be eating - or is it for a show piece? If it is for a show piece that you will be controlling then the food safe issue is not so important.

or visit a craft store - its not hard to make your own. Get the speedball kit - buy the non-toxic developer, print your high contract basic black & white design on acetate - make sure you have a piece of clear glass that just fits inside the screen, you need at very strong lightbulb (150W) and a tinfoil pie plate. Not hard. Hand the light bulb with the foil reflector about 8-10 inches above the design on top of the developer covered silk with the glass on top og the design.

Edited by chefette (log)

People with poor typing skills deserve our help too.  You just have to be a little more patient.  Pretty soon, everyone will be typing like this because it saves them time and brain cells.

the whole bit about kids and IM abbreviations getting into formal papers and stuff is stupid.

don't matter about poor typing skills. i type fast, but i make a lot of mistakes. i just go back over them.

from what i can understand, it's something like

does anyone know anything about silk screens. I am trying to have one made but the man doing it says it needs to be made with a poisonous coating. does anyone know what they are coated with because i need help.

first, i would guess that it's probably better to ask a silk screener about this than anyone culinarily oriented, as this board is. therefore, i'd use schools, yellow pages, the internet, personal acquaintances, rather than message boards such as this. they're more likely to know something like that.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

possibly this person went to a commercial silk screen maker (like for t-shirts).

they might need help finding a source for culinary silk screen makers.

maybe something like JB Prince and the like.

i have a feeling english is not this person's native tongue...let's hope that's the case :biggrin:

as far as needing help finding culinary silk screen makers. i can respect that.

i think the place to start would be high end pastry shops. start as high as you can get.

torres' place, bayard, etc. ask if they know anyone appropriate.

ideally, ask the top guy there personally.

nonetheless, there's a way to structure your thoughts such that you can organize your research process.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.