• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sesame Leaves

Jason Perlow

whoops, I didn't know that you thought sesame leaves were from the same plant as sesame seeds.  Don't feel bad, because I used to think the same thing when I was younger.  I have no idea why they are called sesame leaves.....so it can be confusing.

They are not sesame leaves it's a misstranslation that occured somewhere down the line. Probably because both Perilla and Sesame have edible seeds.

Sesamum orientale is the scientific name of sesame in the Pedaliaceae or sesame family

Perilla frutescens is the scientific name of perilla/beafsteak plant/shiso in the Lamiaceae or mint family

Perilla or Shiso would be better to use as sesame is only used for the sesame plant.

Sesame leaves are rather tasteless and tough. Every time I've encountered sesame leaves in restaurants they have been perilla leaves. I'm not even sure sesame leaves are edible.

I always wondered what Beefsteak leaves were when they were mentioned on Iron Chef...around here Beefsteaks are tomatoes and tomato leaves are poisonous aren't they?

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 1 month later...

Well I picked them up from the local Korean megamart this weekend and used them as wrapper. These things are almost as big as my hand but still tender- kinda pull the stem end as you eat to not get the backbone. It makes me think of eating fresh grape leaves but with a more anise like hint left over. Really enjoyable. Thank you for turning me on to this beautiful leaf.

they taste like a yummy mixture between basil and mint with a hint of something else thrown in.

I had a lot of red shiso leftover from cooking a few months ago and ended up making some shiso vinegar. It's a brilliant pink now, but I don't know what to use it on. The flavor is incredibly strong.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA