• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine X Magazine

fresh_a

Finally! All my wishes come true!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

:laugh: A typical review of wine, In X goes like so:

"Mr X Syrah, 2001 Santa Barbara CA

A frothy, spicy, red powered-seductress of a Syrah, bootylicious with red currant with a finish like Beyonce's Bootylicious behind- it just won't quit."

If the review were for Barolo, the review would be the same only the words bottylicious would be substituted for bootylicious. :laugh:

:wacko:

over it

Here are some current reviews:

More "x's" means a higher "rating."

XX. Covey Run

2002 Gewurztraminer

Washington State $7

Well, tie me to the mast and flog me, sailor!

X. Pepi

2002 Pinot Grigio

Oregon $13

Gettin' high with a trust fund babe - floral, herbal, a little tart but rich and tasty. Close to XX.

XX. Red Knot

2002 Shiraz

McLaren Vale - Australia $11

Better than sharin' a love seat with Michael Vartan on a first class flight to sin city - spiced almonds, warm fruit and the wine just flowin' and flowin' and flowin'!

XX. Avery Lane

2001 Sauvignon Blanc

Columbia Valley $7

More grass and acid than a Pink Floyd reunion tour!

XX. Yellow Tail

2002 Shiraz

The Reserve - South Eastern Australia $13

I'm just a sweet transvestite,

from transsexual,

Transylvania.

Close to XXX.

I'm all for "taking the mystery out of wine," but I'm afraid I need some sort of translation for most of their reviews.

i'm all for the trend towards a more relaxed and less uptight approach to wines. but most of the reviews/notes on the site seem almost useless. some have only 1 or 2 descriptors. the music section seems slightly better, however.

edit: apparently, i just said what echezeaux said. :blink:

Edited by tommy (log)

If the review were for Barolo, the review would be the same only the words bottylicious would be substituted for bootylicious. :laugh:

Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby. Sometimes there ain't no substitute.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Well, they're different I guess...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Well, you can substitute barrique for botte, but barriqueilicious was not as funny. Plus I like botte aged barolos a little more............... :unsure:

over it

Well, you can substitute barrique for botte, but barriqueilicious was not as funny. Plus I like botte aged barolos a little more............... :unsure:

I thought this was a print mag that folded a couple of years ago? If it's the same, totally useless reviews. No consistent viewpoints, descriptors chosen for their "hipness" rather than descriptiveness, frankly F#%*ing irritating.

??????????????????????????????????

blog